vts message

jaitch

I had been using the old 4.5.1 VTS for a couple of years but recently upgraded to the latest version (4.9.3). I did the firmware upgrade at the same time.

The new VTS seems to work slower when downloading a file to the Vipec ecu. However the main problem I have is:- download a file to ecu, then you get the "do you want to store" question, click yes and the question box hangs, click it again, then it then it goes away eventually, then I get the "file opened and downloaded successfully" message which will not go away. I can change tables etc behind it:-

vipecscreenshot.jpg

The only way to remove it is to close VTS and open again. Interestingly enough I just discovered if I do not save immediately after the download, ie click no, and then save with F4 all is well.

I have a done a full VTS delete and reinstall with no change. How do I get the VTS back to working flawlessly as it did for me with the earlier version?

Thanks for any assistance.

James

Hi

Unfortunately this is a bug that has been known about for some time however it happens very infrequently and we have not been able to capture it in house to be able to find a cause.

I would suggest continuing the storing with F4 in the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

With the new 4.9.3 system I now cannot get the logger to work correctly:-

If I do a small two minute log all is good and I have data points at 10 Hz. If I do a longer log, e.g. 16 minutes, then all I get is data points every 2 minutes. So the log is completely pointless. If I export the file to csv there is a data scan every 10 Hz but the data only changes every 2 minutes. Can someone explain why this and how to get it to work correctly?

I have to say that changing from the earlier vts to the latest has been the biggest headache for me - I so wish I hadn't bothered.

Other things that don't work are gauge setup. For some reason it is impossible for me to get an analogue gauge that actually matches the gauge properties I set. Very bizarre.

I also notice there are quite a few spelling mistakes in the menus (one example Display Mode - Log Anlyasis!).

I digress but the main problem for me is the logging so I appreciate any guidance before my head explodes.

Thanks

James

Hi.

First thing to check is that you have consistent coms and the connection speed is remaining above 10Hz.

Will need a step by step account of how you are configuring the guages as its not one we are seeing here so it could be in the setup method.

The spelling has been noticed and we are trying to pick the errors as we come across them.

We have a new version due shortly that is in dealer hands being tested.

Thanks - I will check connection speed etc.

Gauge screenshots:-

This gauge:-

wronggaugevipec.jpg

From this setup:-

wronggaugevipecsetup.jpg

Whatever I do I cannot get it to scale correctly. The low red line puts itself to -11. What am I doing wrong?

Again related to gauges is it possible to set up so a gauge will indicate the max and min values seen? This would help a lot and mean I don't to log most of the time.

Edit - I just checked my connection. I have the green online and 250K box. Next to that I have the varying Hz number which seems to vary between 7 and 11 when logging. Changing log sample rate doesn't affect this number. My connectin is set to auto com. I changed the connection preference from manual to auto which made no difference to the Hz number. Should the Hz number be higher? If so how do I get it higher. I tried different USB ports with no change, tweeked cables no changed, unplugged the usb cable and my PC died and then rebooted.

Thanks for your help.

James

I appear to have fixed the hanging "file opened...." message and my logging issues. I am not a computer expert so bear with me but this is what I did. Some of these may not be relevant:-

In Windows Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks, were two googleupdatetask thingies - I deleted these. I remember that when I updated the vts software I firstly put google chrome onto my car netbook. I try not to use this netbook for anything else so had no issue deleting these. You can disable them but I just deleted them.

I also set the USB root hub power setting so they were always on - ie unclicked the "allow the computer to turn them off..."

I also changed the VTS connection preference setting from manual to auto.

I think that is all I did. I can now use the VTS as before and log as before - the connection speed still shows between around 7 and 10 Hz but it appears to have all the data I need.

So the only issue I currently have is with setting up dial gauges. It appears they only go pear shaped if the minimum number is negative?

Cheers

James

Hi jaitch,

try these following settings for your guage setup.

Caption= IAT or what ever the guage is, Give it a name.

Setup mode Manual,

Minimum = -10

Maximum= 70

Small divisions= 5

Large Divisions= 10

Low yellow line = -11 (this value is the important one, it is a NEGATIVE number and must be set lower than the minimum value of -10).

High yellow line= 60

Low Red line = 65

High red line = 70

The comms issues you were having with the power mode settings on your USB ports is documented in the VTS HELP FILE under Solving Communications Problems.

Have a read through this help file and make sure you have everything set correctly.

Let me know how you go with the guage setup.

I will get back to you when i can, myself and other dealers are testing the new software at present.

Regards

Dave.

I have finally just the got the gauge to work. What I had to do was set the large division to 8 (not ten). I guess that sort of makes sense - just doesn't seem an immediately logical way of doing it.

Re the comms issue I had. I did previously read though all the help files and that seemed to make reference to things I don't have - eg Intel Active R (I only have USB and not com ports). I have just read it through again and still find no reference to USB power management settings. Anyhow, as I mentioned before, VTS was working ok last time I tried. While I was looking through my netbook settings again just now I did find reference to remote working, which sounded similar to the Intel Active R, so I have disabled that as well.

Cheers

James