Documentation for writing my own program

magguza

I'd like to attempt to write my own program to connect to my G4X, similar to RealDash or other aftermarket digital dashes. Looking to do it just to learn and get something for my compsci portfolio. Is there any documentation on how to pull information/values from the Link ECU via USB?

• magguza changed the title to Documentation for writing my own program
  • 4 months later...

Bumping this topic with additional questions instead of making another. For the byte stream output, am I correct in thinking that I'd need a CAN to PCB cable (101-0022) and another tuning cable to plug into my PC? Will I then be able to receive the byte stream via serial port?

I did a little more looking into it to understand CAN. I've never done anything related to CAN or wiring before so sorry if I'm incorrect. The layout to receive and parse the data stream is now this.

Link G4X CAN port (via CANPCB cable + CANSER tuning cable) --> some DB9 RS232 CAN to USB converter --> my PC via USB

Currently looking at some of CSS electronics CAN data loggers but I don't know if the Link CANSER cable pinouts will work for this application. Will this orientation allow me to receive the data stream on my computer?

CAN is just a 2 wire bus.  Connect CAN H & CAN L from the ECU to CAN H & CAN L on your other device.  If you are wanting to connect to a PC then a USB to CAN adapter would be the best option.  Most of them will convert the CAN messages into a serial message via a virtual comm port.  There is a low cost one with reasonable documentation of its data stream structure that works with PC, Linux or Android here: https://www.seeedstudio.com/USB-CAN-Analyzer-p-2888.html

Serial stream definition for this device: https://github.com/SeeedDocument/USB-CAN-Analyzer/blob/master/res/Document/USB (Serial port) to CAN protocol defines.pdf