EGT Thermocouple Amplifier Can Bus for the LINK FURY

Phil2JZ

Hey again, 

Ive done a fare bit of research but just cant get a clear answer. 

Wanting to install 6 EGT sensors on my exhaust manifold for feedback protection. 

2JZ 650hp with LINK FURY G4+

I have a few questions before i purchase everything and set it up.

1. Can i use the Haltech TCA-8 Thermocouple amplifier and connect it via the round 6 pin CANBUS port on the ECU bellow the tuning port? 

Im currently using the other wired in CANBUS connection for the Haltech digital dash (works perfect)

2. If i can use the Haltech TCA-8 , will i need to use the Haltech brand sensors?

3. If the Haltech TCA-8 cant be used, whats the alternative, my understanding is LINK don't make a Thermocouple Amplifier?

Im trying to install a clean EGT system thats reliable and easy to setup. Would love to use all Link gear if possible, so its compatible. 

Appreciating all the help MR Link 

You can use the Haltech device.  Note it is just a rebadged PCS unit so it may be cheaper to buy the original:  https://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/Performance_Aftermarket/Products/CAN_Modules/EGT_Module/A-EGT2000/  

You can connect it to the existing bus (along with the dash) or to the 6 pin port if you'd rather.  The dash has configurable bit rate so you can set it to match whatever device you choose to go with.

You dont need Haltech probes, any "K Type" thermocouple will work with any of these.  Suggest you get quality ones though, not generics from ebay/amazon/aliexpress.  The Sensor Connection make good ones for reasonably cost. 

Link dont currently offer a TC amp.  Probably the most common one I see Link users go for is the ECUmaster one due to its low cost, the PCS one is a bit more professional with billet case and proper thermocouple connectors.  AEM have a decent one too.  There are quite a few others but they either get a bit costly while not offering any more than those already mentioned or are only 4 channels.  

• 5 months later...

Hey Adam

Ive just connected a Haltech TCA 8 EGT Module to my can bus in my Link Fury g4+

Im having issues with getting the sensors to read. Ive been through the Help section and tried configuring the CAN settings but still no luck.

It seems Link dont have any Pre-configured modes to select and i have even tried connecting with the ECU MASTERS egt, KMS EGT, AND DIY Auto tune protocols with no luck. Uploaded streams etc.

My Haltech dash still works fine just no egt sensor readings when i log with the laptop.

If i could please get some help on setting this up.

Kind regards

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qe0jcnzk35pvr5z/fuel corrected base plus can bus.pclr?dl=0

Appreciate the helps guys

Ive loaded the stream files and set it up the way i think is correct. still no temp readings when i turn the logging on. I havent started the engine but im sure it would still read 25 degree temps when logging. 

ive attached my setup to view if that helps 

Your set up looks ok to me.  Is it definitely connected to the CAN1 round 6pin port?  

Those stream files come from one of our old techs that has since left so I dont know where the info came from and if it has been successfully used before.  Haltech will probably give me the info if I ask however. 

Can you confirm it is connected to CAN 1 first, it is showing transmit errors which suggests the dash stream you have set up is not connected to that port.     

I’ve had the dash working correctly on the Can1 previously. then all I did to jump onto the same can bus was connect an older Haltech can-hub mini (three port) to the DTM-4 plug that my dash was using into the first port of the Can-hub, second port of Can-hub I connected to the Haltech TCA-8, then the third port on the Can-hub to the digital dash and turned the dash resistor to enabled.

I’ve created my own Jump leads to connect the older Can-hub connectors to DTM-4 plugs to connect all devices correctly. 
I verified the dash works will all feedback, when connected into the Can-hub.

now there may be an issue with the wiring but I thought I verified it by having the dash communicating when installed in the Haltech Can-Hub.

I only used the Can-hub as I had it laying around from another build.

I could disconnect everything and just connect the TCA-8 directly to the CanBus DTM4 connector and remove the can hub and dash setup to verify if need be. 

Are you sure the dash/hub is connected to CAN 1 though? - You have a dash set up on both CAN 1 & CAN 2 so the dash would work if it is connected to either.  But since the ECU is reporting acknowledge errors on CAN 1 and not on CAN 2, it would suggest that there is no dash acknowledging on CAN 1.  

If you unplug the round connector from the ECU does the dash stop working?

So the two round plug connections on the link fury, I have one plugged in to communicate to my laptop, the other is not being used, I thought this one was for can bus 2? 

Im using the CanBus wired in with DTM4 connector that “Wiring Specialties” installed when I purchase the custom engine harness through them. It was put there to run the digital dash originally. Now I’ve just unplugged the dash and installed the Haltech Can-hub to jump onto the can bus. 

I was under the impression that the dash was set up in can1