E-throttle strategies

randolph

Hi guys, needing some help on setting up a strategy to use an e-throttle butterfly as a by-pass valve to control boost on a supercharge marine engine. The engine is using a mechanical throttle with a single convensional output tps sensor, question: can or will the e-throttle work with only (aps main) or will i have to use a dual output e-throttle tps sensor, or is there an easier way to get the e-throttle butterfly to works other than in e-throttle mode.

thank you

If you leave it in Setup Mode an E-Throttle should theoretically work with a single TPS sensor connected and no APS (just using the target table). You could maybe turn on E-Throttle 1 to setup mode and setup the TPS in E-Throttle 1 to be your actual Throttle Position and then use E-Throttle 2 to control the bypass valve E-Throttle which would mean that your TPS (Main) runtime will show the actual TPS and your TPS 2 (Main) runtime will show the bypass valve position. If you aren't using the actual TPS (Main) for anything in your tune you could just set it up on E-Throttle 1.

Generic H-Bridge controllers are on the feature list already but are a wee way down the list.

Yeah, Im with vaughan here, I would set up E-throttle 1 with no outputs etc and use E-throttle 2 for the bypass.  The only other catch I can think of is when an E-throttle is assigned, some lockouts such as for idle speed control use AP instead of TP. So you may have to get creative around that but for a marine application it will likely be easy to workaround.

2 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Yeah, Im with vaughan here, I would set up E-throttle 1 with no outputs etc and use E-throttle 2 for the bypass.  The only other catch I can think of is when an E-throttle is assigned, some lockouts such as for idle speed control use AP instead of TP. So you may have to get creative around that but for a marine application it will likely be easy to workaround.

good catch on that APS, could use a mathblock as the APS input and set that mathblock to just be the TPS value

On 12/15/2021 at 12:42 AM, Vaughan said:

good catch on that APS, could use a mathblock as the APS input and set that mathblock to just be the TPS value

Since i’ve never dealt with match block before, could you share a brief idea on how to setup what you have suggested,

thank you

So this is a quick setup where the actual throttle position sensor is wired in as An Volt 2 and the APS is forced to the same value as the TPS. You would then setup E-Throttle 2 to control the bypass valve. in the setup shown E-Throttle 1&2 are using the same target table but E-Throttle 1 isn't actually controlling a throttle so you would setup the E-Throttle 1 Target table with whatever axes and values suit your bypass purposes.

Capture.PNG

6 hours ago, Vaughan said:

So this is a quick setup where the actual throttle position sensor is wired in as An Volt 2 and the APS is forced to the same value as the TPS. You would then setup E-Throttle 2 to control the bypass valve. in the setup shown E-Throttle 1&2 are using the same target table but E-Throttle 1 isn't actually controlling a throttle so you would setup the E-Throttle 1 Target table with whatever axes and values suit your bypass purposes.

Capture.PNG

Okay i will proceed with that and update, thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Happy new year, just let you guys know that i got it working with a slightly different technic, i have set it up as a normal e-throttle set-up by connecting 2 anv to only one throttle sensor signal and use a 3.5 ohms resistor on the anv connected to aps sub to lower the voltage a little and set the other anv to aps main respectively. Works like a charm.