Checking CAN Output

senordos

Hello,

Is there a way to check that there is a signal exiting the ECU on the CAN wires?

Using a Link G4+ Fury - I have wired into the CAN 2 H & L outputs and have setup the CAN 2 settings in the ECU config, but I'm not getting expected results (any results) on my external dash.

I'd like to just check that the wiring is "ok", but being a data line I assume it's not as simple as checking if I get 5V or something on the line! 

For info: I'm setting up a Race Technology DASH2 (not PRO) so using a serial converter. The converter appears to be working, but isn't showing anything on the input side... I am just trying to rule out ECU setup / wiring issues. 

Thanks for any help,

Christian

Yes you can measure voltage to ground.  When there is no data both CAN H & L will sit at about 2.5V.  When there is data you will see higher voltage on CAN H and lower voltage on CAN L.  It varies with how much data is being sent but typically you will see about 3.5V on CANH and 1.5V on CAN L if there is data.