G4 Track day data loggers

JohnRambo

Hi

I've been using RaceChrono w/ an external GPS for track days for a while now and want to get my ECU data in there.  I haven't been able to find anything on Android that can support the Link G4 CAN USB output like RealDash does.  I've tried looking at serious-racing.com, trackattack.io. 

Ideally I want the Link data logs w/ GPS and accelerometer data.  Something that could read the G4 logs, Racechrono logs and then time align them with a go pro video overlay.  Not asking for much :)

The only thing I have found is the Aim Solo 2, which comes in at a much steeper price than a phone and external GPS.  It might be the way to go though.

Racecapture track may be an option. Basically a logger box receives ECU CAN, GPS, accelerometer etc and can connect to your phone or tablet if you want a dash/display.  Analysis is generally done on the tablet too.  The older one used to be able to send data to the cloud through the phone for "telemetry" at the same time but not sure if they still have that in the non-pro version.   Solo2 DL is a nice bit of kit though with more professional level software.  

I think you could possibly do it with realdash too.  That has a datalogging function and you could export to csv and use megalog viewer or similar.

Just looking if I can use something in the port of the old G4 CAN/RS232 port into OBD bluetooth.

Ok, I'm going down a rabbit hole here.

Can I wire in a obd-ii plug for a obdlink mx+ into the CAN/RS232 port in the G4 as it doesn't have CAN/OBD.  To allow the odblink to talk CAN to the ECU?

Edited by JohnRambo
more thoughts

If your G4 serial number is >10000 then it has CAN bus and the OBDLink CAN adapter will work.  If it is 9999 or less then it will need to be returned to Link for a mod to enable the CAN (it is a free service, you just pay shipping).

Yeah i'm trying to dig into it now.  I think I need the MX+ as that is the one that will read CAN and not OBD2 because my G4 only has CAN/RS232 not extra CAN/OBD that G4+ and G4x have.

Any chance you know the type of plug/JST something? for the CAN socket so I can get a pigtail to connect to an obd plug.

No, any of those models listed can read direct CAN - not only OBD2 messages.  SW-CAN (single wire CAN) and MS (medium speed) are not relevant in this case.  The G4 uses conventional high speed, two wire CAN.  

If it is a plug-in ecu then the CAN socket is a JST XA series.