Idle Park Step with Gear Range Sensor

Mcfly94

Hi just wondering if a correctly configured gear range sensor in the software can be used in the Idle Air Functionality?

I can confirm the ECU correctly reads gear, I need to add a neutral park step for cold idle, I've got the cold idle pretty dialled in with the car parked but when cold the change to reverse and resulting load causes the rpm to drop 300/400 and stall. It also struggles to catch the stall but if it does it oscillates In rpm heavily for abit before it clears it self.

Curious does the step add once out of park neutral or add when in park or neutral?

i.e 40% base

5% neutral park step

Would the duty cycle be 45% in park/neutral or in gear?

Between enabling the pullup resistor and saying if Neutral/Park is active low or high, you can change which way the active state works in the software.  You should need more idle duty cycle in gear than you would in Neutral/Park.   That trim only adds 0-25%, and can't subtract it, so you should have it active while in gear (which seems counter-intuitive to the name of the trim).  

FWIW You will want to try it and see how the car reacts, however, because I wasn't able to get enough range of adjustment on an old 69 Dodge dart with a A904 automatic using that trim.  In addition to that in that application, the only way I got this to work reliably was with idle set to open loop as the closed loop would take the trim amount away after a bit and cause idle to dip or go over (can't remember which) when changing state back and forth.  I ended up just doing a 3D idle table with coolant temp on one axis and park/neutral on another axis (0 and 1 for on or off) with two rows for idle duty in gear and idle duty in neutral/park.  Idle ignition trim handled small adjustments fine to make the idle stable even with fixed idle valve duty.

For the neutral/park step you need to use the digital input "Neutral/Park", most auto trans have a specific switch for this (used for starter lockout also).  If you are only using the Analog input "Gear position Sensor" the neutral/park step is not linked to that.  

Thanks Adam definitely setup what I wanted, now I should be able to fine tune the gear step

image.thumb.png.d193fd933226a337771f984b0f1a8114.png

I did have the in gear duty cycle only about 4/5% increase, enough to stop the stall but not enough to retain a somewhat smooth idle, going to try a little more and see how it treats me.

You could possibly do something similar with the idle ign table at the same time, give it say 5deg more advance all over when in gear.  The trouble with idle valve only is you dont see the full increase in torque from the extra air until a few engine cycles later.  Using advance you can instantly increase the torque on the very next cylinder to fire.