2cyl, staged inj, turbo wiring & setup questions

MRRPM

I'm running a V44, 2cyl, odd fire, staged injection, turbocharged, burning methanol, sequential.

My question is wiring of the injectors, do I wire my primary inj output to 1 & 2, to cyls 1 & 2, with my secondaries first cyl wired to output 3, & second cyl wired to output four?

I've read the manual, the above seems to be correct, but there is a place in the manual where it says that secondaries should be wired to the even outputs?

I thought it was correct, but I'm getting funky fueling requirements. If I trim one cyl, it doesn't seem to make much difference to that cyl. How can I check whats happening? I know I can test fire the injectors, but that doesn't mean they are doing the right thing, during operation.

It all depends on the number of cylinders being run vs the number of injector drives.

So for a two cylinder you need 4 drives a 3 cylinder would need 6 and a 4 needs 8 drives.

I have your map now so ill give that a run up on the bench. And see what we find.

Haven given this a run on the bench and found the following.

Firmware of map supplied is very old. I would suggest updating to current firmware.

Testing was done on FW 4.9.7

Found fuel trims are working as expected but they do only apply to the primary injectors. The Secondary injectors pulse width remains unchanged.

Can also confirm the drives 1 and 2 are the primaries with 3 and 4 the secondaries. paired as 1,3 and 2,4

So basically the primaries are sequential, and the secondaries are batch?

The problem I have, is I have to remove a lot of fuel to get both cyls correct, I'm running 850cc injectors as primaries, and 2000cc injectors as secondaries.

Any suggestions for a better setup? Maybe wasted spark, batch fire, no cam sensor to lose sync with?

I have found better results as using the secondary injectors as a aux injection. The problem I had with staged is that the secondarys come on and the primarys turn off, so the fueling was not reall easy to dial in. Using the aux injection, it is really simple and straight forward, adds fuel under boost without switching off the primarys.. My 2 cyl running on meth and aux injection and 1600 primarys, and 3200 secondarys put down 532hp to ground. With the staged, I could never get it to get the lean transition to go away..

Queenracing,

Do you know for sure that the primaries went off? Seems like Simon is saying that they don't go off, but only the primaries are affected, as far as for fuel trims?

Interested in your aux inj setup. I can't see how that would be done, can you elaborate on your setup?

I just updated the firmware on this unit, now the unit won't communicate with the laptop. It searches for the ecu, says online for like a quarter of a second, then goes offline. It had some errors on the FW update, a popup came up that said I may need to do the update again, which involved cycling the key, then clicking ok, which I did, now this is what I've got. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi MRRPM,

a couple of things for you to try.

Firstly, open the VTS 4.9.8 software on your laptop.

Go to the OPTIONS tab, select connection,

Set AUTOMATIC connection to MANUAL.

Select SERIAL PORT to match what COM PORT your USB is connected to in device manager.

Set BAUD RATE to AUTO.

Try to reconnect to your ECU.

If your laptop doesn't connect, check the following.

In VTS software go to the HELP TAB.

Go to ECU INFORMATION TAB,

Have a look at what version FIRMWARE it says.

Does it say 4.9.8 or the previous version you were running.

Go to ECU CONTROLS, select UPDATE FIRMWARE.

In the window it will give you the option to update to 4.9.8 if not already installed or DOWNGRADE to your previous version, if 4.9.8 is installed or partially installed.

Try to install 4.9.8 again.

When you are prompted to cycle the ignition switch, leave the ignition switch on and physically disconnect the ECU LOOM connector plug.

With the ECU LOOM connector plug disconnected, turn the ignition switch off.

Reconnect the ECU LOOM plug and then turn the ignition switch back on.

See if the firmware update finishes and all is OK.

Report back your findings.

Also are you running WINDOWS 7 64 BIT.

Regards

Dave.

Thanks for the reply, I tried manually connecting to no avail. It will connect, but very briefly, less than a second, about enuf time to say online.

I can't update, downdate, or even tell what's in it, without connecting.

Hi,

I haven't used XP with VTS before, I have always run Windows 7 32 bit.

Try locating your VTS folder on your laptop.

It will be located where ever you have installed and saved the program to.

When you find the folder,

Double click on it to open the folder.

Double click on the VTS folder that contains the 4.9.8 software.

Within this folder will be the USB DRIVERS for installing.

There will be 2 USB DRIVER installation APPLICATIONS.

Try installing the x86 drivers and retest your connection to the ECU.

Make sure you recheck what COM PORT your laptop loads the USB cable up as after installing the drivers.

Let me know how you go.

Regards

Dave.

Ok, thanks. I'm on vacation until Tuesday, I'll try it then,

I've been talking to some friends, my VR sensor does not have an output like the one in the ViPec manual, rather, an almost perfect sine wave. Could this be a problem?

If having a connection issue check that you have any dash unpluged at ECU end.

Also there was an issue that if fuel was turned off and precrank prime was turned on and setting was stored it would do this. If you can get a connection for long enough to load another map or tuen prime fuel off might solve the issue.

On multi tooth triggers a VR sensor will often give a sign wave like signal.