Ecu safe mode

supra11487

Tried to get me car running today and ran into issues. G4x stormX I have thought there has

been something off for a while when somestimes changes saved to my ecu sometimes would not hold. Had the car run very good, almost perfect for about 10 seconds then shut it off to put coolant in. Ate something and 15 mins later with the same settings for everything it pops out of the intake like timing is off. Change 2 degrees and it backfires out the exhaust like its changing 50 degrees of timing. Clicked on ecu firmware update for some reason and saw that the ecu is in safe mode and to contact the dealer, tried updating it again and it says the same thing. Insight would be wonderful this has been a struggle and seriously hope there is not a problem with the ecu itself 

20220507_195737.jpg

That safe mode is being reported incorrectly in the latest firmware so you can ignore that for now.  

Your symptoms sound possibly more like a trigger issue.  Will need a map and log demonstrating the problem and some info about the engine/application to help any further.  

Jeep 4.0 based engine. Bosch 312cc injectors, individual ls coils, gm 3 bar map, gm ethanol sensor, ford iac, mustang throttle body. Factory jeep type crank trigger as trigger 1 just on the balancer instead of flywheel, hall effect. Also factory jeep cam synchronizer thats hall effect as trigger 2. Running full sequential on the modeled equation. What would cause it to run one minute and not the next with the same settings? It ran with 309 crank trigger offset perfectly then 15-20 mins later it won't run at all. Also the ecu will not save my settings sometimes after I save them? I have seen protocol ecor code come up multiple times before, I have seen the hrz number in the corner be at single digits to 30 when it is usually high 50s low 60s, it has tried loading a tune by itself while cranking and you have to press not not to load a new tune(has done this once). Pc link also seems very laggy since my firmware update. Is there a way decisively to tell if there is an issue with the firmware or memory? Attached are my tune, a log, and a trigger scope. Thank you -Jimmy

582.llgx PC Datalog - 2022-05-8 1;31;11 pm.llgx spirit share file.pclx

If I get my timing set with the set base timing box open lock ignition timing to is set to 12° offset is set to 51° and the timing light shows 12° on the balancer then shouldn't my crank trigger offset be 52° in the calibration setting? With that setting in as the trigger offset i got a big shotgun like backfire through the exhaust, with that I set the offset to 309 thinking I may have put the cam synchronizer in with the engine 180° out and it ran but will not again. I am going to bring the engine to tdc and set the cam synchronizer again tomorrow though im almost positive it is in correctly now. Again thanks for any insight. Cheers 

We have just tested this on the bench and suspect the ecu is not always syncing correctly with this trigger pattern (or possibly the trigger settings I gave you arent right).  The firmware team is investigating.  Leave it with us for a bit and one of us will update you when the problem is confirmed.  

I've just PM'd you a link to a beta software.  Please install this, then update your ecu to the firmware included in this version.  In the trigger setup you should then have a new "Jeep Cherokee" trigger mode.  Give that a try.  The offset may be different than it previously was.

I have downloaded the beta software and firmware, ecu is now running in normal mode. Jeep Cherokee 2000 has been selected as trigger mode and timing seems correct. With the set base timing to box open and trigger offset at 0 I can get my timing light to go to 0, 8 , 10 on my balancer when commanded to in the lock ignition timing to box so it seems the trigger issue has been resolved hopefully. The pulse from the timing light seems to be much more accurate and regular with these changes, I had almost thought it was dying before but i thing it was the signal its been getting. Will try to start it within a few days and update you. Let me know if you want a scope or a log.  Cheers 

One thing is the Hz bar in the upper corner is only between 28 and 32 it used to be around 60hz not sure if this matters at all.

15 minutes ago, supra11487 said:

I had almost thought it was dying before but i thing it was the signal its been getting

Simulating it on the desk I could see it syncing in a different spot each time so theoretically it would have started 1 out 3 tries approximately.

17 minutes ago, supra11487 said:

One thing is the Hz bar in the upper corner is only between 28 and 32 it used to be around 60hz not sure if this matters at all.

This is to do with how fast PCLink is updating the displayed data, will be faster on faster computers and when laptops are plugged into the wall power, will be slower when you've got lots of runtime views on your open layout page, esp time plots.