LS3 won't start

AlexLSX7

I have a twin turbo ls3 in an RX7. I've had it running before with no issues and tuned it.

I'm about done rebuilding the turbo kit. I moved the car yesterday and it started instantly like it always did. I span it round and put it back in the garage then let it idle for a bit (have let it idle multiple times before this)

Went to start the car today and it's just popping and banging occasionally when cranking. Usually it does that when the front can sensor isn't plugged in.

Ive checked the wiring and plug on that sensor and it's fine and getting voltage (3 pin)

I can't reach down to the crank signal but was able to feel the wiring and it's not touching anything.

When cranking the rpm signal on the ECU seems to come on and off like a pulse (not sure if that's normal as never paid any attention to it before). It is giving errors on the trigger 1 counter.

I can't see trigger 2 turning on, but again I'm not sure if it did before as not paid attention to it

I've tried loading an older map which made no difference. Other than trying to get to the plug for the crank sensor, I don't know what else to look at.

Ive also tested the coils individually and I can smell fuel so I know the injectors are working as well as some pops when testing the coils.

Fuel pressure is fine.

I have a log of cranking if it helps but can't post till I get home.

Any help greatly appreciated 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

Apologies for the very late reply, the car is over an hour from me and I've not been able to get to it.

So I had a spare cam and crank sensor so I replaced them both. Car started straight away. I tried turning it back on after letting it run for a bit and it wouldn't start again. I put an extra earth on from the engine to chassis and the car started straight away. Thinking it was resolved I carried on doing some other bits to try and finish the car.

Gone to work on it today, started straight away everything seems fine. I turn it off and try turning it on again to see if it will start, of course it doesn't. I tried adding a thick earth from battery to engine as well as the other one I did and it just cranks over.

I did a trigger scope, and trigger 1 (assuming crank signal?) Is just flat lining. Trigger 2 gets a line up then straight then down again when the capture finishes.

I checked the wiring on both the plugs when I changed the sensors and they were both fine. I've checked the cam sensor wiring again and it's fine. The crank plug I can't get to as the headers in the way and I can't get under the car when I'm on my own as I can't get it over the pit without trapping myself.

Does this sound like the wiring for the crank sensor to be the issue?