Retrofit cruise control onto Subaru

Benginetuner

Hi all,

I was having a thought about my build, and wondered if it would work?  Now that the wrx11 ECU is out, I would assume Link have mastered CAN BUS and the cruise control strategy on the 2008+ Impreza with DBW. 

If I was to retrofit a DBW throttle body and pedal to my earlier model Subaru, running a P'N'P G4x ECU, and used a 2008+ steering wheel, could I be able to use the cruise control using the CAN data from the 2008 car?

What other parts if any would I require over the pedal, throttle body and the steering wheel & clock spring.

Similarly, I have a customer with an SG Forester XT who lost his cruise control when we fitted the Link ECU, it would be nice to have that working again for him, so if I can retrofit later Subaru hardware and enable it again, he'd be very happy indeed!

Just to add, I'm looking for a solution that won't use up all my my spare I/O's. I know I need clutch and brake switch inputs etc.

I've already used a lot up retrofitting AVCS, Flex fuel and various temp and pressure inputs.

I've read the file in the help section on cruise control. I'm hoping to be cheeky and do most of it via CAN if possible?

Cruise is not CAN bus on these cars, the cruise buttons on the steering wheel are still connected to plain old IO.  You need 1 spare analog input (with a pull-up added) or a temp input, and 1 DI.  On the V11 the cruise lights on the dash are controlled by CAN, whereas on the gen 2 cars the cruise lights were connected to ecu outputs.

I noticed when testing in a few "V11" cars that even the models that didnt have cruise from factory still had the full clock spring and all the cruise wiring already there.  Only the steering wheel buttons were missing.  Just mentioning this as it may make your search for parts easier.  

I would expect the forrester to be the same, dont think the cruise is done by CAN.

Hi Adam,  Many thanks for your relpy!

That sounds promising! I have a WRX6X ECU that I want to install all of this on. I was led to believe that the Link ECU couldn't differentiate the stock cruise button information. It may have only been on the XT model Forester, that had the cruise stalk behind the steering wheel. Something about one button doing more than one job?

I believe the  V11 models with steering wheel buttons use a switch with varying resistance? I.e. not individual wires per switch, but one switch that gives off a different Ohms reading whether you press Accel or cancel or enable. If I was was to wire that into my WRX6 ECU would it work using one input?

If I have to wire each switch command in on separate inputs, then I won't bother installing the DBW throttle, I'll keep the cable throttle 

We now support all of the subaru cruise switch types.  The V10 and earlier had a bit of an odd setup that used 3 DI's, one for "cruise on" then 2 others in a binary like combination to achieve the 3 set/resume/cancel functions.  This type is labelled "Subaru Cruise Switch" in the software and we have supported that since G4+.  This sounds like possibly what the XT has.

The V11 and later has a DI for the "cruise on" switch, then an analog with varying resistance/voltage for the set/resume/cancel.  We have only recently added support for this one in the last year or so (G4X only).  This type is labelled "Subaru 3 wire" in the software.  To convert the resistance into voltage the analog input needs a 1kohm pullup connected - or you can use a temp input instead which already has the pull-up internally.  

We also support the fully analog type that uses a single wire that outputs different voltages for each button (common in nissan & toyota), and the old school fully digital type where you have 4 digital inputs, 1 for each button.  

Hi Adam,

I'm just trying to configure my software to go from cable throttle to DBW. I'm using a V1.4 board so have the expansion connector. I see it has 3x AN volt pins. I have APS main and APS sub on there, which is leaving one spare. Do you have to populate the entire expansion connector when swapping over to DBW? (forgive me, I've never converted before, normally work on factory cable or factory DBW cars)

Just to add, I have the + & - going to Aux 9 & 10.  I wanted to get a base map configured ready before I install the hardware and wire it all up

4 hours ago, Benginetuner said:

Do you have to populate the entire expansion connector when swapping over to DBW? (forgive me, I've never converted before, normally work on factory cable or factory DBW cars)

No, just use whatever you need.