Introduction and quad VVT Question

liamcafs

Howdy all, I'm Liam Mc from Wales in the UK.  I'm currently a good way through installing a Volvo B8444s V8 into my 1987 Volvo 240.  Few piccies here if anyone is interested Linky.  

The engine is a bit of an oddball and isn't commonly used.  It has COP, quad VVT and I'd like to utilise the quad VVT to avoid having to lock the exhaust cams.  Also I'd quite like to retain the e-throttle.  I have a competitors ECU ( i got it before the engine when I was installing a straight 6) and it doesn't officially support quad VVT hence me looking at Link (after following Bad Obsession Motorsport).  I've pretty sure a G4x Extreme is about right.  Therefore my questions are as follows.

1.  Is this the right ECU for me?  

2. Is this CAM trigger pattern something which is either allready available in the ECU software or can it be programmed in easily?

51793765762_8f45bbc6a2_c_d.jpg

3.  Also any other advice would be most welcome.

Many Thanks 

Liam Mc

Yes the Xtreme would be a good choice for an engine like this.  

Assuming it has a missing tooth type wheel on the crank, such as 60-2 or similar, Then yes that cam pattern will be no drama for both sync and VVT.  Id really need to see a trigger scope once wired to decide the best option for sync but most likely we could use the "cam level" type sync strategy.

For the VVT just set it to user defined mode once running and set the cam angle test to calibrate.  It will then self populate the tooth offset tables so all cam positions are known.  From there it will most likely work right away but not very well, the PID settings will need to be tuned.  

Thanks Adam, thats enormously helpful (and ressuring).  I'm definately going to sell my other ECU gear and migrate to Link.

I already have an e-throttle body which came with the engine.  I've assumed i can use it, is that right or do I have to acquire a specific throttle body?

15 hours ago, liamcafs said:

I've assumed i can use it, is that right or do I have to acquire a specific throttle body?

Assuming it has traditional analog TP sensors then it will most likely be usable.  I know one of the odd volvo throttles used CAN bus TP sensors which would be more difficult to make work without the data - but I dont remember which specific volvo engine had that.  If you have a factory wiring diagram that should confirm.