Lambda pulling fuel

Ryley Coker

Been awhile since I've had to post. BUT here it goes.

1993 Subaru Legacy 2.2T with 18G turbo, 1000cc injectors, full link ecu setup. 

The ecu is pulling a serious amount of fuel and continues to try and make it leaner. The car is running rich, but it doesnt hesitate like it is lean. I did an idle log because thats where it pulled the most fuel. I have done plugs, coils, packs, smoked tested the car until it wouldnt fill the engine anymore. I have also calibrated the lambda and my wideband and they are reading similar readings. I am going to get a new wideband sensor for the lamda today. Is there any other issues that I should be looking at?

log.PNG

1.) In the first message you said the performance of the injectors is 1000cc, but in the basic settings it is set to 750cc, for a multi-fuel configuration 550cc

2.) The screenshot shows the ethanol content of 74%, but again I did not find the settings for it in your tune.

Setting the basic fuel parameters will be a good starting point. With the current settings, the ECU will probably not correctly calculate the amount of fuel needed.

You have them enabled but not configured. Different types of fuels have different densities, stoichiometric proportions, evaporation rates, etc. All this to a greater or lesser extent affects the calculation of the amount of fuel supplied. Obviously, the most critical setting is the size (and other parameters) injectors, which have a greater impact on the calculations.

Well I have been tinkering with it. And trying. But either I go from WAY to lean, to WAY to rich. Not sure where I am missing. I do have 1000's cc injectors but the tuner scaled them back for some reason. Not sure why. Hes not tuning anymore, and no one near me wants to tune the car. So I am on my own for this one. 

If I take the injectors to match one another, idle is perfect 750 for injector setup and 750 for multi fuel. BUT then I have no throttle and it leans out the second you touch the pedal. I have messed with fueling, fuel tables, accel enrichment to try and make it work. I have adjusted fuel density, fuel pressure settings. OH, no matter what I do and what table I adjust, it runs at 10 on warm up. I have the original tune still saved before I started messing with it, but it runs like crap now. I swapped out the sensor and it seems to like it better with running. But still issues. 

You are not going to be able to get an acceptable flex tune by fumbling around adjusting random stuff blindly.  It is a reasonably complicated process that needs to be done with a specific routine to end up with a decent tune.

All input data must be correct - inj flow rate, deadtimes, fuel press, densities, stoich ratios etc.  Then you need to drain the tank, fill with the first unblended fuel (ie pure gasoline or close to it), tune on that fuel, when that fuel is all tuned and working well then drain tank, fill with the 2nd pure fuel (ie ethanol), check fuel tune again (should be close if injector and fuel data is good), when that fuel is good then check again with some variable fuel blends between these 2 extremes.

It might be worth your while to invest in some courses at HP Academy or Evan performance.