MR2 wheel speed

INSW20

• 2 weeks later...

If it's pre 92 (JDM or pre 93 ADM) it will be a cable speedo to the cluster and an electronic from the cluster to ECU, if it's newer then it's hall effect from gearbox and then an altered signal from cluster to ECU. I'm not 100% on what it uses to convert mechanical to electrical but it could absolutely be having trouble with cable friction and/or mechanical to electrical conversion if it is an earlier car.

It's also pretty erratic all the time which is a good sign something isn't quite right.

Yep, it's an earlier car.  It has a 3 wire sensor (I assume hall effect?) that's used for the cruise control speed sensor on the OEM setup.  The sensor goes between the mechanical sender and the cable that goes up to the cluster.  I'll look for mechanical issues and cable friction problems on it.  Thank you all!  =)

The 3 pin cruise sensor is only used for cruise control but if the cable setup is in a bad way you could theoretically wire it up to the ECU as well and calibrate the ECU to suit. The Power steering does use the speed signal from the dash though so improving that is still a good idea.

On my car I installed a later gauge cluster (needed different plugs) and ran a hall sensor from the gearbox to the ECU with the ECU sending the speed to the gauge cluster speedometer so that I could correct for different wheel sizes. ST18X Celicas have a mechanical to electrical conversion on the gearbox that screws onto the MR2 gearbox too or later gearboxes (with the better synchros and lsd diffs) have hall sensors in them with no provision for a speedo cable.

21 hours ago, Vaughan said:

The 3 pin cruise sensor is only used for cruise control but if the cable setup is in a bad way you could theoretically wire it up to the ECU as well and calibrate the ECU to suit. The Power steering does use the speed signal from the dash though so improving that is still a good idea.

On my car I installed a later gauge cluster (needed different plugs) and ran a hall sensor from the gearbox to the ECU with the ECU sending the speed to the gauge cluster speedometer so that I could correct for different wheel sizes. ST18X Celicas have a mechanical to electrical conversion on the gearbox that screws onto the MR2 gearbox too or later gearboxes (with the better synchros and lsd diffs) have hall sensors in them with no provision for a speedo cable.

Ah, looking more closely at the diagram, I see it now:

image.png.e0f4496c8c350fe8c76156915427bcea.png

Another question, do we know what kind of signal is created by the cruise sensor if I wired that directly to a DI?

image.thumb.png.6fb9eb2855c6ce43ade9bf224767c962.png

13 hours ago, essb00 said:

The speed reading spikes are caused by high frequency noise being picked up by the DI. Try this simple low pass filter circuit below (just if you have some electronic parts lying around). :) This solved similar problem on mine (though on G4x).

image.png.736111c159109efd670d694aba2d2f25.png

Very interesting!  I'll see if me and my friend (his car is having the issue, mine is in pieces still) can get that done.  Thank you!!

On 12/3/2022 at 10:50 AM, INSW20 said:

Another question, do we know what kind of signal is created by the cruise sensor if I wired that directly to a DI

Most likely just a hall affect style square wave. You would probably want the DI pullup off if you tap into the cruise signal.

• 1 month later...