Crank and Cam Position Sensor wiring

jindakwa

Am using  a link g4+ plug in ecu for ST 185 (gen 2 3sgte) to run st246 (gen 5 3sgte) which i just swapped in recently.  main difference btwn the two is that ST 185 was a distributor type engine while ST246 is a cop.  Car runs but has trigger error and am hoping i can get someone here running cop conversion on his gen 2 3sgte to confirm  my wiring if correct or experts here. 

here is how i have wired the crank and cam sensors from the gen 5 engine into the ecu. 

1. I connected the Crank  positive wire to pin 13 of link ecu ( Trig 1 NE)  as per the manual that came with the ecu. However the stock wiring describes this pin as rpm input from the distributor. So not sure why the manual call it trig 1.  More reason am worried abt the wiring.

2. I have connected the cam +ve wire to pin 25 of link (trig 2 G1). 

3. Connected the negative wires of both crank an cam to pin 39, ground signal (G-) .

Can someone confirm if this is correct especially on the crank side where am not quite sure.  am not sure if connecting the wire to NE is correct r i should move it G2 (pin 12 of link)  which also comes from the distributor. 

Toyota manual describe the pins as follows" CRANKSHAFT POSITION IS DETECTED BY THE PICK–UP COIL INSTALLED INSIDE THE DISTRIBUTOR. CRANKSHAFT POSITION IS INPUT AS A CONTROL SIGNAL TO TERMINALS G1 AND G2 OF THE ECU, AND RPM IS INPUT TO TERMINAL NE."

PS: There is no mention of G2 (which is pin 12) in the link ecu manual even though the pin connects to the distributor.  In fact the link manual says nc - not connected. Not sure if its is an oversight or in some models had it not connected. 

thanks 

Take a trigger scope while the engine is running and attach it here.

14 minutes ago, jindakwa said:

There is no mention of G2 (which is pin 12) in the link ecu manual even though the pin connects to the distributor.  In fact the link manual says nc - not connected. Not sure if its is an oversight or in some models had it not connected. 

The factory ECU uses G1 and G2, the Link ECU only needs G1 and so G2 is not internally connected to anything in the st185 plugin.

10 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Take a trigger scope while the engine is running and attach it here.

The factory ECU uses G1 and G2, the Link ECU only needs G1 and so G2 is not internally connected to anything in the st185 plugin.

Thanks for the response. so I can conclude that my wiring is just fine, right ? 

When I take the trigger scope it looks okay all the time. see below. 

However I sometimes see on logs i have a trigger error. which worries me and reason i decided to ask to be 100% sure that my wiring is okay.  

Trigger Scope Log 2022-11-27 6;26;21 pm.llg

40 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Wiring looks correct.  Can you attach the tune.  Have you set the base timing?

Yes i did set the base timing with a timing light.  

note that this error does not appear all the time.  i would say doing logs, sometimes it will come and sometimes not. unfortunately all my past logs that i have saved don't have it. was hoping to find one that i can share with you now. Will pump up the thread whenever it comes. For now here is the tune.     

ST 246_1.pclr

You'll get trigger errors when you stop cranking as it is expecting a tooth but the engine has stopped turning so the tooth never comes.

Don't forget that calibrating timing with a timing light can only give you the correct offset to within 360deg, the correct offset could be either 146 or -214.

8 hours ago, Adamw said:

Also, when you say "car runs but I sometimes see trigger errors", are these errors only during start up?  Hopefully not at high RPM/load?

A good question that i have no answer to for now.

I honestly just see the error under the ecu fault code tab as the only error. Am not sure when it occurs. I will try to be keen next time to catch it when it appears which am not sure how.  I would think not under load coz last time it appeared, I  deleted it, pushed the car to north of 6000 rpm  and it hasn't  popped up again till today. 

On 12/14/2022 at 12:20 AM, Adamw said:

Also, when you say "car runs but I sometimes see trigger errors", are these errors only during start up?  Hopefully not at high RPM/load?

@Adamw  @Vaughan

I got the error today in the morning. I think it only comes while starting the car and looks like when the battery is low coz that was the only different thing today in the morning.