flatshift settings/setup

gav1

Trying to get the gear shift control setup for flatshifting or at least close so i can log and fine tune the settings. 

i am running a ppg 6spd sequential with rotary position sensor and load cell/strain gauge.  i have setup the voltages for the gear barrel position as advised and am happy that it is reading correctly. other settings i have looked thru the helpfile to get a rough setup.

any help would be much appreciated.

current 811hp map.pclx

I will be able to set up a good starting point.  A couple of questions first though:

1. Does it have an electronic speed sensor in the gearbox or on the driveshaft etc or is it a cable speedo?
  2. Do you know the gear ratios?
  3. Is the car close enough to running that it could be driven through all gears say up on jack stands or driven gently around the block?

Hi thanks for replying. this is the g4x gtr plugin fyi on skyline r33 gtr

1. There is an electronic speed sensor in the back of the transferbox for the speedo  , possibly also a wheel speed sensor on front wheels iirc

2. gear ratios are 2.706 - 1.894 -1.471 - 1.184 - 1.00 - 0.812

3. yes car is running , dyno mapped on wastegate pressure

Something related to output shaft speed is what we want ideally.  Typically the same sensor that is used for speedo.  Usually in tail housing or on driveshaft/diff flange.  Input shaft speed we already know (engine RPM).

Ill have a look at your map tomorrow hopefully.

The speedo is working , its a vss in the transfer box housing/ end of gearbox current calibration number is 123, i should have a chance to compare the reading to gps speedo in the next few days and will alter the calibration to get it more precise

Ok this should be a decent starting point.  I currently have the RPM target calculation set to gear ratio only so the speed sensor doesnt matter.  Having speed in the calculation is more important for downshifts under heavy braking so prob not important in this case since you have no blip capability you probably arent going to be doing clutchless downshifts.   I have set maximum down shift RPM to 500RPM so the ecu will only control upshifts.  I have set up ecu logging to log the important bits at high speed for gear shift tuning.  Do some half power shifts to make sure it all feels like it is working before committing to any full-power shifts.  Attach a copy of the ecu log after you have done some test shifts.  

current 811hp map V1.pclx

• 3 weeks later...

Tried some more testing and in higher gear it is not making it into the next gear. driver error?or something else . i think the cut is triggering to early maybe with the lever force set at 40N max shift value is 208N ? wot do u think?  

It looks like the main problem is your gear barrel voltages arent accurate, this has caused a lot of the shift cuts to end early as it thinks it has already reached the next gear, and in many shifts the barrel voltage is outside of the tolerance at the start of the shift so you get shift settings for "gear zero" applied rather than the correct gear (which means ratio and RPM target is wrong).  

Can you change all settings in orange and give it another try.  

Omj6xoK.png

Hi , just looked over the log and i think 6th gear should be 4.37v not 4.10v so i have inputed that instead . it seems that the 4.10 reading was when the gear had not engaged fully and i was just coasting till i reshifted

• 3 months later...

Hi, managed to do a bit more driving and now looking to see if i can drop the shift time down a bit based on the logs.

my main shift min duration is currently 50ms and the torque reintroduction time is 40ms . (noticed 20ms suggested in another discussion)

if i have end shift mode as gear barrel position and shift fast am i still limited by the main shift min duration time?

The 2>3 upshift was clamped by the main shift min duration, so that one would have been a bit quick if we reduced that.  You can reduce it to about 20-30 since we always have a fixed 20ms dog unload first so it should be safe at that.  However for the next shift 3>4, this one was not held up by the min duration, the problem with this shift is it is quite slow to come out of gear.  There is high load on the lever and 100% cut for about 40ms before we see any movement on the gear pos voltage...  Its not immediately obvious why that is, the RPM starts dropping as soon as the cut starts so the dogs should be able to come apart.

Your lever force is a bit odd compared to what im used to in that it is higher than normal and tops out very early.  Does it feel like you are needing to pull on the lever harder than you should be or is it just a sensitive strain gauge or odd linkage ratio or something making it look that way?      

The torque reintroduction time looks about right to me, you can see just a little bit of faint ringing after the shift in the RPM trace.

Thankyou for the input adam , i will do some more logging and see how the shifting goes. i havent had much time behind the wheel so not sure on how the lever felt at max rpm as i was a bit preoccupied. i do see that i hit the limiter on the 2-3 shift so that might also have effected that shift so i will keep it as it is for further testing