Trigger / Tuning options with 116t crank input E30 M3

Gregg Haver

Hello,

Looking to upgrade from a piggyback fuel controller on a BMW E30 M3 (S14 engine, NA) to a standalone system (G4x Atom or Fury (for onboad Lambda + more inputs)). 

Playing around with the PCLink software, I see that there is a 'BMW M3 (116 Crk)' option from the flywheel.  If this primary trigger were to be used, what are the ignition and fuel strategy options? 

A common cam sensor setup is to integrate the S38 hardware from a 90's M5, and, ideally, I'd like to eliminate the distributor (wasted spark ok) and run sequential injection (single injector per cylinder).  Adding a universal crank trigger is an option, of course, but curious on the intent of the specific BMW crank trigger option.

I do not have the factory AFM installed, and plan to run Alpha-N (as current w/ piggyback), with MAP blend (eventually). 

Thanks in advance!

Gregg

• Gregg Haver changed the title to Trigger / Tuning options with 116t crank input E30 M3

The BMW M3 (116 Crk)trigger mode looks like it uses 2 sensors on the flywheel - one pointing at the ring gear teeth and a separate "TDC" sensor, so this only gives the ecu crank position information, not engine phase or cam position information so this trigger system is only capable of distributor or wasted spark ignition and multi-point group injection (batch fire).  

For sequential and/or direct spark ignition your easiest options would probably be:

• Fit and aftermarket or S38 crank & cam trigger.
  • Fit an aftermarket or S38 crank trigger wheel only (no cam sensor) and use the MAP level sync function (MAP sensor connected to a single ITB/intake port.