Combined Oil Temperature and Pressure Sensor

WRX_555

Hi there,

I bought a Link Combined Oil Pressure and Temperature Sensor (part number 101-0184) and the female pins don’t seem to have been manufactured correctly, such that they cannot be locked in place within the connector (please see the pictures). Please would it be at all possible for you to send me four replacement pins for the sensor?

Many thanks

39613FCC-2B3D-4C49-B6FC-6FC930818D23.jpeg

896AAB7D-3B5A-414D-B460-18D3D010C3AB.jpeg

C543E64A-7F2D-49E6-8F03-3EF501A2F07C.jpeg

9E41AEDD-1EAE-4452-A1CD-0D5101BE6D9D.jpeg

Thats the correct pin.  There are actually 2 different families of terminals specified for these connectors, a Kostal MLK and the TE MCON, they look quite different but are interchangeable - just in case you have seen someone else selling a different terminal. They should push in quite easy with an audible (barely) click when the barb latches in. 

A couple of comments:  The crimping needs to be relatively nicely done and the wire needs to be thin wall 0.5mm or smaller.  The blue secondary lock on the front needs to be pushed over to the side when you are inserting.    The barb on the terminal needs to point to the "outside" which means the top and bottom row are different.  I'll try to make a pic below to explain.  What are you using to crimp them with? 

j1I7RaR.png

Thank you very much Adam for your information and guidance, by the looks of things, I haven’t crimped the connector properly so I will buy a new set of pins and will try again. I did use one of these to crimp but I’ll get a better crimper in future.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115261322240?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=kYapaw_dSRe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=YoViKyIuQMW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The following seem to be a correct set of pins if I’m not mistaken?

https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=1244

If you happen to be aware of any distributors in the UK, that would be brilliant.

Cheers

5 hours ago, WRX_555 said:

Oh dear! Can't expect to get good terminal crimps with those; they're really only for crimping closed-barrel butt-connectors, ring terminals and spade terminals - usually the kind you see with yellow, blue or red insulation pre-installed.

This tool here isn't the fanciest, but it's inexpensive and covers most open barrel, stamped terminals you come across in automotive applications:

https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Crimping-AWG24-12-Terminals-Connectors/dp/B07G98DLB8/ref=sr_1_36?crid=1CHJ5BE4EOEXA&keywords=terminal%2Bcrimping%2Btool&qid=1679940903&sprefix=terminal%2Bcrimping%2Btool%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-36&th=1

For most automotive terminals that require you to crimp the wire seal onto the insulator, just behind the conductor-crimp - the SGT-18910 works well. It has the "B" crimp spots for the conductors, and the round crimp locations for the wire seals:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UGV66B0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Search 571-7-1452668-1-LP on Mouser.co.uk, and while you are there add a 1026CT (crimp tool) to the same order and you will get free fedex and have them both in a couple of days. 

The 1026CT crimp tool looks similar to the one suggested above but it has smaller cavities more suitable for most EFI terminals.  They dont do a perfect crimp on these specific terminals as the jaws are just a tiny bit wider than ideal but will still do a generally acceptable crimp.  

• 2 months later...

Just an update on the installation, my plan is to use the RHS TGV 5v and ground for the sensor and then the RHS TGV position input and the cable throttle position sensor input (AN Temp 3 and AN voltage 3 I believe) for the temperature and pressure signals from the sensor. I’ve wired these up and setup the calibration tables but I receive 0v at AN voltage 3 and 5v at AN Temp 3. I was wondering if there is a need to bridge the TGV terminals for the LHS as I believe that it’s a series circuit? For clarity, the TGVs have been removed from the car. There seems to be a green and a black wire common between both circuits and there was no voltage difference between the RHS TGV ground and the cable throttle ground. The car has been converted to DBW and I have no spare analogue inputs hence the use of the redundant sensors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to let me know if I can provide any more information or a better explanation!

Cheers

What ecu do you have?  The RHS and LHS TGV positions are completely independent so nothing needs to be bridged.  But im confused about your mention of AN Volt 3 and AN Temp 3, none of our subaru plug-ins uses those for TGV position as far as I remember.  

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve got the sensor wired in and the oil temperature reading seems to be correct. I have used AN Temp 3 for the pressure sensor and the reading seems to be incorrect (0.85 bar when the engine is not running and 6 bar when the engine is at around 3k RPM). I noticed that there is a 1k pull up resistor with the AN Temp 3 input so I am wondering how much this would affect the calibration voltage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated