cosworth engine will not run help!

fiestacosworth

Posting this to see if anyone comes up with something that I might have missed.
So my fiesta Cosworth has been running perfect!! Started it to move it out the way walked back over to it 2 minutes later and it was running like a bag of S***! Running on a link monsoon ecu cop conversion. Bosch ev14 injectors bought brand new only a few months ago. Went to move it and it cut out. Tried to restart it and tries to fire but backfires. Pulled the plugs all fouled up! New plugs fouled them straight away. Tested coils and injectors through link software all clicking ok. new genuine phase and crank sensors fitted a few months ago and both gapped fine. Re checked and still ok. also has new iat and ect sensors fitted. Vacuum pipe to map sensor that’s built into the ecu is fine. Cannot find any other leaks have smoke tested intake system. Fuel pressure is good as I suspect with how rich it is! Tps sensor is working fine as checked on live data.  Cannot see anything untoward. Now I cannot get it to start at all. Just turns over. Done a compression test for good measure 150psi on all 4 cylinders. checked timing and spot on. found an earth wire that was disconnected on the block so re connected it. removed plugs and left out to completely dry out. got it to start but runs awful and will not idle. i logged it and have attached the logs. don't know where to go from here can anyone see anything that i am missing ? thanks 

fiesta fault will not run..llg FIESTA COSWOTH NON START.llg

I think you have a trigger issue.  In the no start log there are lots of areas where RPM drops to zero yet you can see from battery voltage that it is still cranking.  In those areas the trigger 2 signal disappears.  

What does it have for triggers?  Stock 4 tooth crank and 2 tooth dizzy or something else?  Is it COP, wasted spark or distributor ign?   

Hi Adam. I'm running a 36-1 crank pulley and 1 tooth phase sensor. coil on plug. it was last mapped around 6 months ago and has been perfect since not a single issue. I literally just reversed it back and 2 minutes later I have this issue. I have checked my gaps and the crank sensor is relatively new. the phase sensor is a genuine marelli one. 

Hi Mark yes but not clints loom. 

It is receiving a trigger signal that it is not happy with intermittently.  RPM gives a spike just before the RPM drops to zero which suggests trigger 1 isn't happy either.  It could be the trig 2 arming threshold as I mentioned so I would try that first, but otherwise you are really going to need to get a scope connected to see what is wrong.  It may not be your main problem, but there is def something flakey there.  I suspect the "no start" will be that it is sparking on the exhaust stroke rather than compression stroke due to the sync not being seen.

The fuel pressure seems a little odd too, with the engine not cranking it shows 273kpa, and it jumps up to 360kpa when cranking.   It drops back down to 274kpa as soon as cranking stops which kind of hints there is no check valve holding the pressure - so why is it still sitting at 273kpa with the pump off?  It could be a check valve, but the trace is so dead flat it gives me the impression more of a sensor or calibration issue.  

• 5 months later...

Hi i need help with this still. after last time i found several issues with the old wiring loom. so i built a new loom using a genuine link 2.5m wiring kit. i also removed the engine and done a complete refresh of everything. new sensors gaskets etc etc. all back together tested coils and injectors all ok. checked for spark when cranking ok. compression all good. engine was timed with dti and is perfect. however it will not start still!! i have attached another log from tonight. am i missing something ? had a jump pack on the battery to help too. any help would be great. 

fiesta non start.llg

Hi Adam. The base timing is set as it was when the car was running perfect before. And pulley etc all in the same place. Offset has always been set to -87 and this was confirmed by the mapper when the car was set up. And he used a timing light. 
I can try changing it 360 degrees ? It’s honestly mind boggling