ford 351 v8 injected carb

heavyae

Hi, 

Ive wired a few links in before but am no extreme expert so would like to get my ducks in a row beforehand, a few questions I have.

ECU; Link StormX

Vehicle; BA falcon ute to be used for circuit racing

Engine; 351 ford V8 using injected Holley sniper carb, I have removed Holley ECU and are basically using it to house the injectors, TPS and idle control valve

1) we are using a trigger wheel mounted to the crank pulley, do I need a trigger from the distributor/cam as well or is the crank signal enough?

2) we are wanting to incorporate a pit lane limiter, is there a specific wiring diagram for this that would normally be used? if so/not what pins would you recommend I used? we are just using an on/off toggle switch on the control panel that we plan to turn on coming into the pits.

I may have more questions but will leave these here for now

IMG_1023.HEIC IMG_1024.HEIC IMG_1026.HEIC IMG_1025.HEIC

If the crank wheel had only 4 teeth (ie 1 per TDC) then you could run batch fire injection and distributed ign with the crank wheel only.  But with 24 teeth you have 3 teeth for every TDC event so the ecu would have no way to know where TDC is.  So you need some unique event to index from either once every 360deg or once every 720deg.  

• You could either grind one tooth off the crank wheel to make it a "24-1", you could use this for batch fire injection and distributor or wasted spark ign.
  • Or you could use something in the distributor as a sync which would allow sequential or batch injection and distributor, wasted spark or direct spark ign. 

I would definitely keep your options open for at least wasted spark ign in the future if ever required, distributor ign on a V8 is quite a limitation above about 5000RPM unless you have a CDI/MSD box as well.  

For a speed limiter connect one side of the switch to ground and the other side to a digital input.  You will need a speed sensor also if you want a proper speed limiter rather than just an RPM limit.  

Hi Adam, Thanks for such a fast reply.

Im thinking i'll wire in the distributor anyway rather than get told they need it later on. Im guessing for that I will just need to use 5v supply, ground and any analogue volt or do I need to use the trigger 2 loom? It is a 3 wire distributor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam, I have another question for you.

Im just trying to figure out what o2 sensor to run and if I need the CAN lambda with the LSU49 oxygen sensor or can the StormX run the oxygen sensor without the CAN lambda?

also my customer supplied a LSU42 and I'm curious to know if that is adequate or do I need the LSU49?

thanks again

There is no wideband controller built in to the Storm ecu, only the Fury has that.

You cant use a wideband sensor without a wideband controller so you will need to add one to the shopping list.  You can use a CAN Lambda or any 3rd party device, both 0-5V analog type or CAN bus type.  CAN bus options are generally more accurate and less messing around with calibrations etc so are preferable if budget allows.  

Support for the old LSU4.2 sensor is not very common nowadays so you will probably find a controller with an LSU4.9 included as a package easier.

Im assuming you are in Oz, Just Race Parts stock the 14Point7 startan 3 which is pretty decent value, they have both a CAN version and analog version (spartan 3 lite) is available.   AEM X-series are also pretty decent low cost options if they are available.  Avoid the Innovate controllers.  

Thanks for the reply Adam,

Getting the 4.9 with Lambda kit sounds like the better option. Im actually in NZ and NZEFI have this https://www.nzefi.com/product/link-can-lambda-controller-kit-lsu4-9-sensor/ does this look like the kit I will need?

We are also using an AIM MXM dash controlled by the CAN on the storm, just clarifying that I can just split the CAN wiring to the LAMBDA and AIM dash?