Tuning feedback for the software

paulr33

Hi all,

I've found VTS pretty good software so far and I've come from a PowerFC/Datalogit background so my feedback might be skewed (apologies for this)

Some tuning feedback, at least from my experiences

- there should be a way to plot min/avg/max on the IGN or fuel maps to help you manage and track the inputs - ie avg water temp correlated to the fuel map or IGN map

-- you can then use this to fine tune load points and correct based on other inputs (datalogit does this pretty well)

- there should be a way to view # of times each load is used in a log file to help you understand how meaningful the log file is and # of samples per load cell, useful if you want to adjust cells but only have 2 samples - ie dont consider avg water temp if you only have 2 samples for that load cell, need more samples to be meaningful (datalogit does this)

- ghost trace or "snake" trace doesnt work, at least when i am trying it, i cant see no snake trail or "ghost trace"

basically i want to work out what cells are used by my log file, it looks like the VTS software supports it, but whenever i turn it on / try and use it - i see no trails/no snake - only active cell tracking (am I doing something wrong?)

what is the representation of "section time" is this milliseconds or seconds or some arbitrary number in the logs?

is it possible for the logs to reflect cell X and Y number that it's using from the tune in real time

ie

SPEED,RPM,MAP,ECT,LOAD_CELL_X,LOAD_CELL_Y

67km/h,4400rpm,156kpa,78deg,5,7

which would reflect using RPM cell 5 and load cell 7 from the 2d or 3d map (helps track what cell the ECU was using at that point in time)

I don't really understand the point of having average values when you have the actual values. Min and Max can be viewed when you open the Time Plot properties window.

The number of samples is possible if you use Mixture Map

Unless the snake is broken it should work, but only for live tuning, not through log playback

Ghost box should be working too.

If you can supply your PCL file and VTS version we can check this on the bench.

Log section time is M:S:MS as in minutes:Seconds:milliseconds

The tables will display the ghost box on playback of a log if the required data is there (as in both axis).

They must be exact parameters, as in 'AnV7- Fuel Pressure' parameter is not the same as the 'fuel pressure' parameter.

Hi Paul,

I understand some of what you are saying as Simon has stated most of what you want is there if you know what and where to look for it.

I had the reverse problem, coming from these standalone ECU's such as ViPEC to using FC EDIT.

Getting used to RPM being referred to strange no1 , no2, no3, etc, and load as 12838 etc , etc.

You are comparing chalk to cheese here.

Spend some more time playing with the software to familiarise yourself.

Just create practice PCL files and page layouts.

Experiment with changing colours etc, you will soon see just how powerful and well laid out this software really is.

Realistically, this is my opinion only, FC LOGIT software is very agricultural, compared to VTS, iVTS , ETC.

No offence to anyone.

Just my opinion.

Regards

Dave.

fair feedback and taken on board, all good and started using the software some more now.

worked out how to adjust log level sampling as mine was way too low for the onboard logs (was 1hz) so will bump this up to get more samples / per second.

updated to latest firmware and all good, no issues.

also note that im using the internal logs and log playback so maybe thats why my view of logging was a bit different.

i havent actually done on-road laptop logging as i felt i didnt need to with the onboard internal logging, but didnt realise the different sampling rates (mine was low, 1 per second)

Hi Paul, yes PC logging is a lot better.

When setting up, just highlight all the selected parameters on the right side of the screen and then hit REMOVE ALL.

Then select the parameters you wish to log.

This will free up even more space and speed things up for you.

Otherwise you have a bazillion parameters to sort through.

Regards

Dave.

• 1 year later...

is there a way to compare maps from different tune files? ie IGN map from tune saved at date xx/xx/xxxx and compare it against another saved .pcl file?

i want to see where my IGN values diff - i.e. whats changed compared to previous tune

or can i export the IGN numbers to excel somehow