More GP outputs or more detailed/conditional Engine Fan and VVT activation

DerekAE86

I'm currently using up a good chunk of my GP outputs running my Engine Fans and VVT just because I don't have the control otherwise so it'd be amazing if we got more GP outputs or more control on the dedicated outputs.

For example for my engine fans I want them to come on with AC, but I since my AC request is the clutch activation itself I want a delay so I don't have the electrical load of both the clutch and the fans kicking in at the same time. Then I want to have an off delay so when the AC clutch cycles off to maintain system pressure I can keep the fans running for say 20-30s to give time for the clutch reengage to prevent the fans going off and on every time the clutch cycles.

And for VVT my current setup is:
RPM > 1500, RPM < 7250 with no delays
(AND)
MGP > -10kPa, ECT > 65deg with a 1sec off delay (So that it will shut off instantly outside of the RPM range, but MGP can dip out of a moment and VVT will stay on)
(OR)
Crank Enrich > 0% (So that the intake cam is advanced 30deg during cranking to assist in start up)

So I figured out I could utilize the GP PWM outputs linked with the CAN Aux outputs to free up my GP Outputs and Virtual Aux's.

Was able to recreate my same settings and include hysteresis on both the MGP and RPM range without needing even more Conditionals.

Now my VVT operates as such:
Regardless of any state it will be on when cranking.
After which the VVT is locked out until the engine is over 65deg ECT and running for more than 30sec

The VVT will then engage anywhere between 1500rpm and 7250rpm when MGP increases to -5kPa. (I'm using MGP rather than MAP because there is a fair amount of altitude change around where I live which means "95kPa" MAP at sea level ends up being WOT/Ambient the further up I go.)
It will then stay on until MGP drops below -10kPa for more than 1sec. This removes any rapid on/off if you happen to be exactly on the cutoff point and has enough end delay to allow for a fast gear change without VVT turning off and back on.

Once you exceed 7250rpm it won't reengage unless your revs drop below 6500rpm. This again prevents rapid on/off if you happen to be holding revs around the turn off point but means it will reengage if the rev drop is caused by a gear change.

vvt.PNG

You typically shouldnt activate a hydraulically operated switched or variable cam when there is no oil pressure, you can get extreme clatter and break parts.  Typically only enable above idle when there has been stable oil pressure for a few seconds so air has been pushed out of the system and preferably also have a startup lockout timer so it doesnt engage due to the cold start RPM flare. 

According to the info I've found the 4AGE 20v Blacktop does actually activate it's VVT solenoid on cranking from factory, Granted this is only from a knowledage base online and not from official documents so I'd happily be shown differently.