EJ257 VVT control

Tim D

Hi all,

Please could someone have a look at this datalog of my 2007 Subaru Impreza (EJ257), it shows the LH inlet cam following the target position nicely, but the RH inlet cam seems to stick when returning to low RPM.  Does this look like a mechanical problem?

Here's my tune and log files

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_2xjmL4tqKDDjRRaazbYCyisHcrCuHOQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18IJacWlOX1kb1Xx30rFBh6uxh54VSj6q/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance

i havent openen your files but i tune alot of these , they do stick , check the filter baskets in the banjo bolts for blockage.

but even when perfectly fine on mechanical level , they do stick

there is a spring pressured plunjer which locks them in rest mode when there's insuffcient oil pressure

Thanks Wanderer, thanks Adam,

The engine has recently been rebuilt, so I guess this is pointing towards Adam's response.

I had a quick look in PCLink, should I use Cam Angle Test to measure and fix this?

Yes, with engine warmed up and at fast idle so it is running above the VVT RPM and ECT lockout, set the cam angle test to RH Inlet, and set the test pulse count to 3.  Go to the runtimes screen, VVT tab and view the 3 cam angles reported in the absolute cam position category.  The smallest angle is what you enter into the offset field on DI2.  Turn the cam angle test back to off when done.