ViPEC fault

jaitch

Hi Guys

I have a V44 plugin on my Mitsubishi GTO (Eurospec UK, supplied and fitted), had it running issue free for the last 5 years. After much recent trouble shooting etc I have found my crank sensor is receiving its 5V signal from the ViPEC ecu. The crank sensor (new one) is correctly chopping the voltage on cranking. However the ViPEC is not recognising the voltage chop - trigger is showing nothing on cranking. As a result I get no crank spark etc. (ViPEC ignition test works).

Stock ecu gives me crank spark etc.

Question is does this fault make sense to you as a viable fault - ie is it possible for the crank sensor pin to provide the 5V but not recognise the voltage drop? No other faults on ecu and cam sensor triggers correctly etc etc.

Do you have any approved repairers in the UK?

Thank you

James

Hi

In this case to see 5V on the trigger is normal as this is the internal pullup voltage which is needed for the sensor to pull it low.

For the ECU to see this it needs to pull the signal to 0.5V or lower.

Check the ECU is not operating in hold mode, has anti theft activated or Dual ECU on.

All of these will lock the engine RPM to 0.

Repair wise if required it will need to come back to NZ

Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply. I am not sue what hold mode is or how to check it.

All other parameters and values etc are displaying as plausible and functioning. Cam sensor is triggering, I get starter signal to ViPEC, voltage is good, spark works on test, injectors work on test, fuel pump works, MFI relay is functioning correctly. Crank sensor not registering a trigger. Reluctor trigger wheel correctly located and working. Crank sensor is new. Although I am pretty certain I plugged it in and did a swipe test before installation and it was ok. (I have done so many various test combinations that my head is overloaded on the test matix). Have tested harness to the nth degree and used an old connector to test connector interface.

My ViPEC did initially loose all its statistical data - all counts etc went to zero. Then last time I looked at the stats they were all showing 63535 (or something similar). I also had a random screen message that said something along the lines of "only approved software can be used to tune this ecu".

I have restored ecu factory defaults and reloaded my map with no change.

A mouse ate one of my HT leads and I am thinking HT leakage increased to the point where it found its way back to the ECU. That's all I got. Running wise it was perfect. Parked up for a week. Fired up and ran like it was dropping cylinders for a few minutes (while I was trying to establish what was going on). Then basically died completely.

I think I will return it to you guys in the absence of a brainwave on my part.

Thanks James

Hi Simon

pcl attached along with three logs. I can't attach llg files (extension not allowed) and renaming extension to pcl doesn't work either. I can email if you let me have the address.

First log showed triggers on cam and crank but no spark crank evident. Subsequent logs only showed cam trigger. I think I have logged everything. Let me know if you need further info.

I appreciate your assistance greatly and look forward to your assessment.

James

Hi James

Have flicked you an email.

But I suspect the trigger 1 signal is not making it all the way back to the ECU all the time.

Best check to do would be to scope the signal right at the ECU header. Suspect we might have a broken wire to the sensor. Could be the power ground or signal wire.

Hi Simon

I have done that and the crank signal is getting back to the ecu as best I can measure. Also I mentioned earlier that the stock ecu fires up no issue - which rules out any wiring issues.

I am pretty certain the ViPEC needs repair. If you agree I will arrange return to you. I really need to move this forward - I have spent two weeks plus chasing this fault.

Thanks

Jame

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Simon

I have now got my repaired ViPEC back and plugged in. I cannot connect to it with PC and ViPEC software will not detect ecu. I am using VTS 4.9.3. Do I have to upgrade firmware and use the latest version of VTS (I notice there was some CAN upgrade done to my ViPEC)? I would rather you advise me before I embark on a world of software misery!

Thanks.

Regards

In theory nothing has been changed around the area of connecting the ECU.

I assume you are connecting through USB and that the short loom from the ECU is still attached to the correct port on the board.

You can certainly try connecting with the later VTS software to see if it will connect.

I found the fault - bit embarrassing really - a school boy error! I had plugged the USB connector into the CAN connector on the board. USB lead is now correctly plugged in to the USB connector. GTO fired up and it still sounds awesome and I am very happy.

Thank you very much for you and your colleagues prompt assistance.

James