ECU>chassis DTM connector

SteveF

More of a fundamental question sorry, just something I've noticed while looking at looms for my FuryX over here (UK and Ireland).

I've noticed a lot of offerings use a DTM connector for the ECU to car loom connection, with the coil and injector lives and the radiator fan and fuel pump trigger wires, etc, etc.

I understand the relay triggers do very little work, but if 20AWG is the biggest you can squeeze into a DTM contact, and the contact itself is rated at 7A max, is this not a little close to the limit for coils or ECU power supply? No DBW so ECU supply won't be crazy, but still.

Initially I thought they must be using multiple contacts for the same power supply, like people seem to do with Autosport bulkhead connectors, but my friends car with K20 COP conversion (4x) only uses one contact to supply it.

Anywho, I appreciate this isn't directly a Link question, but I know there are some real smart people here. I just assume I am missing something if multiple companies are doing it this way, and they are working fine for people.

Also I have been assuming, going from prior threads I've seen here, talking regular TXL, 4x EV6 injectors should be cool from 1x 20AWG split to 4x 22AWG and the 4x K20 coils (COP conversion) should be ok from 1x 18AWG split to 4x 20AWG be ok, with 20AWG for their grounds and 20 AWG for the ECU coil wires?

Thanks for taking a look guys, I know it isn't your job to educate me so I appreciate your time and any pointers.

Are you sure it is a DTM and not a DT? 

Having said that, if we are talking 4 x direct spark, denso COP at a redline of say 8000RPM, lets say a 2ms dwell (20% duty) where dwell ramps up linearly over that 2ms to say a peak of 8A, your average current draw on that single wire supply will be 3.2A total for the 4 coils.  

Your proposed wire sizes will be fine.  

Definitely DTM, I think I'd be more comfortable personally with a DT.

That's very interesting above though, thank you, I figured there would be very little overlap with only one 'firing' at a time as it were, but I overlooked the duty aspect almost entirely!

Thank you for your help sir

I use 18ga a lot with the DTM closed barrel pins personally Tefzel and TXL.  Are you seeing these same pins have a single pin providing power to the coils, injectors, and ecu all on the same single DTM pin?