1990 mx5 g4x pnp possibly fried?

gaaaaaaaaabe

So I decided to try out some different timing values today and the car turned on, idled for a while, then I went back outside with my dad to show him that it's working and then the car dies outta nowhere. As funny and as convenient as it was, the car doesn't start anymore, no more fuel pump prime on key on and my laptop no longer detects it. All the appropriate pins receive the correct amount of power, which leads me to believe I have somehow fried it.

Where should I start when it comes to diagnosing the ecu out of the car? Or am I better off finding money to buy a new one and hoping my mx5 doesn't eat it.

You could try removing it from the car and providing only power and ground to the correct pins to see if it powers up without all the external stuff, sensors/injectors etc.

Also could remove the cover and check what state the LEDs are in and for any obvious burnt components.

Pull the lid off, check if there are any blue LED's on, there should be if it is powered up.  If not I would power up outside of the car as Derek suggests as this is a quick and easy way to verify if it is the ecu or wiring.  More likely to be a wiring issue as the ecu's are pretty forgiving and have a lot of protection.

The easiest way to power up on the bench is to connect 12V to the striped end of the big TVS diode and gnd to the other end.  

If the ecu doesnt power up like this then contact [email protected] to get it inspected, it does have a lifetime warranty.  

dtyEG7C.png

Well, no lights anywhere, I plugged it into the car just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. It has 12v and still doesn't post. I don't understand how it could just spontaneously fail while the car was warming up, there's no sketchy wiring anywhere ahaha.