ST185 Fuel Map tuning

CalebjW02

Hey there Link community, Im just looking for some help as Im a just in the learning process of tuning and how the link software works. My teacher told me after taking a look at my log files, that its better that i stay out of boost for now. He is just so busy with race cars in the summer time i cant get much help from him right now. Any things you guys can point out for me straight off the bat. I dont want too get too far into my tuning because i have plans for a bigger fuel system and turbo when i have the time and funds. Thanks for any help!

st185 rev 2.pclx PC Datalog - 2023-07-26 7;58;20 am.llgx

Is the MAP sensor really a Link 4bar?  It has a little more vacuum than I would typically expect in overrun?

Your fuel table is a complete mess.  I would start again with these changes:

• Zero out warmup enrichment in the 70degC column since you are running at ~77.
  • Put some values in the accel fuel cold correction table, 1.0 at operating temp and above, tapering up to about 5.0 at the lefthand end. 
  • Simplify the fuel table, you dont need a million cells.  Start with 1000RPM columns and for rows start at 20kpa, with 20kpa increments rows up to 100kpa then 40kpa rows above that. 
  • Make the IAT fuel trim table 2D. 

Confirm your trigger offset, yours seems a bit odd.  You have a trigger error at about time section 4:47, this may mean the arming threshold is a bit high or it could be rotor phasing due to the offset.  

I would suggest looking at one of the HP Academy or Evans performance courses to learn some fundamentals before tuning.  

Yes it’s really a Link 4 bar, possibly it’s where I have the sensor reading from. It’s right into the intake manifold under the throttle body. Okay I’ll do that, I was having trouble with cold starts and I thought that helped some, guess I was wrong there. Thank you. And I do believe I messed with trigger offset quite a bit, I understand you need the timing mark to stay out while ranging in rpms. 

If you tune the car in modelled fuel mode now, then changing injectors later will be a little more seamless as will doing any ethanol blended tuning.  I've tuned a lot of 3sgtes and do offer remote tuning also.  How stock is the motor right now?  I may have something a bit closer as a starting point. 

Your knock control should be detecting knock on all 4 cylinders with separate tables, not all on one table.  These motors do typically have greater tendency to knock on cylinders 2 and 3.  I usually use 7kHz for the knock detection on them - has your tuner verified that 8k works better? Your map limit table also may be problematic as you only allow boost basically at one coolant temp. 

Getting the signal for the map sensor from the oem pressure sensor port should work fine - one of the two small nipples on the front right side of the intake manifold.  Make sure this line isn't shared with any other device or split or teed into at all.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the motor internals are all stock, I have a rebuilt turbo with a bigger compressor wheel. I will make sure its in modelled fuel mode for now. The Map sensor is on its own port coming from manifold. So i should go back and take away most of my fuel table, and start with a smaller portion? Then i can start adding more cells or do I just not need that many? Thank you guys

6 hours ago, CalebjW02 said:

So i should go back and take away most of my fuel table, and start with a smaller portion? Then i can start adding more cells or do I just not need that many?

The old K.I.S.S. rule will usually serve you well in tuning.  Only add complication if it is essential.  A small table means less cells to tune, if you find after tuning that small table that there is a certain area that doesnt work well with the linear interpolation between cells then just add an extra row or column only where it is needed.  

Noted, Thanks. Here's the fuel table shrunk down and the warm up and accel enrichment tables fixed somewhat. Now ill just drive around not in boost or low to watch my lam avg and lam targ. Also I have a link Fuel pressure sensor but im thinking i have the pins all janky which isn't making a good enough connection, any clue how i could get more link style pins. the ones i got off amazon didn't fit the sensor well. And i also recently started getting a code for the ect sensor not in range. That wasn't there for the first couple weeks of doing stuff with the link. 

Im getting a message that my log file is over the size limit even though i know its not. Weird...

2 hours ago, CalebjW02 said:

Im getting a message that my log file is over the size limit even though i know its not. Weird...

Members get a fixed upload allowance, you have used yours up.  You can upload your log file to google drive, onedrive, dropbox or similar and share a link here.  

What pressure sensor do you have?

Okay that makes sense. Ill make a google drive later if you could check it out for me, since you have worked with lots of mr2s. Its driving around well, starts are a little rough. I want to get my knock sensor and knock control all figured out, just so i can start boosting more and seeing about knock.