350Z G4X PLUG IN EXT VVT ISSUE

tristanlim93

Exh bank 1 is looking better in that last log.  Try the changes in orange.  

6 hours ago, tristanlim93 said:

its a track car and is running on 5w50 oil viscosity, 5w30 will be boiling the oil very quickly

I suspect this will prevent you from achieving acceptable control.  Im not sure I agree with the statement that 5W30 will boil quickly.  Viscosity is the resistance to flow, a higher viscosity means more resistance, which means you have to put more energy into the oil to pump it around and it absorbs more energy from windage and shear.  As long as you have enough viscosity for adequate film strength at operating temperature, an engine with lower viscosity oil will run cooler.   

Qikfhvh.png

Hi Adam, i've did an oil change to Motul 5w30,  i did some changes in vvt activation rpm and base target & with your latest pids with some changes in the base duty for both exhaust cam 1 & 2. attached with logs and file, i can see that the cams control now is much much better then previous are jittering bad. Please let me know if we could have some better pids changes.

Regards,

Tristan

350Z PID TEST 4 (5W30 WITH BASE DUTY TUNED).llgx 350Z (PID TEST 4 5W30).pclx

It looks like base duty needs to be around 32% for bank 1 and 17% for bank 2 in that log.  It looks like the engine wasn't fully warmed up though so they may end up a bit different with fully warm oil.

Otherwise you really just need to experiment a little now.  I think you can possibly reduce proportional a bit more - try it at 0.5 and 0.75.  Derivative and Integral dont look like they are too far away but I would try derivative at 5 and 15 just to see if moving in either direction gives an improvement.  

the exhaust cam control from Nissan is a pain to control , we see a lot of issues as the car (motors) get older,  the friction faces wear out , oil quality makes a huge difference as well. We just find the best position and work on controlling the cam in this position.