CAN to PCB no CAN modules found

GnJ

Following a previous post, I've fitted two Link CAN/Lambda modules with CAN to PCB connector and Can plug, also have the MXS Strada dash.

Into CAN setup but 'no devices found'... rechecked all of the wiring several times, continuity from PCB to CAN plug is ok. Just left the dash connected but still not found. Also tried the dash in the OBD port without success.

Without any modules connected the voltage on CAN H is 3.3, CAN L 1.9

Attached screeshots, help needed lol

Screenshot 2023-08-16 150851.png

Screenshot 2023-08-16 151015.png

Screenshot 2023-08-16 143507.png

The find devices tool is only used for programming certain CAN accessories, the dash is not expected to be found by this tool, only the CAN lambdas should be found.   

7 hours ago, GnJ said:

Without any modules connected the voltage on CAN H is 3.3, CAN L 1.9

Can you confirm this at the DTM plug that connects to the CAN lambda.  

Hello! 

Had similar issues. 

First I would check if the Dash has a terminating resistor. Some dash requires you to turn them on.

Turn ignition off and check resistance between CAN high and CAN low. if you see a 60 ohm Resistance then you have a termination resistor on both ends. if reading 120 ohms then you only have one terminating resistor.

Here's a video that helped me trouble shoot. hope this helps.

The ecu is showing transmit errors on CAN 1 so this means it is not seeing any response from the other devices.  This would usually indicate a bus wiring issue. 

Note CAN 2 should be set to 350Z mode, but that is not going to cause your issue. 

Can you attach some pics of the CAN wiring.  

7 hours ago, Adamw said:

Ok, cant tell much from those pics, but I would start by peeling that tape off where I have marked and confirm you have >2.5V on the lambda white wire and <2.5V on the green.

quUIHPY.png

Thanks, I'll update on Monday, hopefully the new connectors have arrived by then

Partially Fixed!

I now have both CAN-Lambda's setup. While waiting for some new connectors to land, I worked through the video that KENJAMIN posted (thanks btw). Although the dash resistor was set to be enabled, it doesn't appear to be working so I've disconnected the dash and terminated that end with a 120ohm resistor.

The next question is how can I connect the Strada MSX dash?

9 hours ago, GnJ said:

I worked through the video that KENJAMIN posted (thanks btw). Although the dash resistor was set to be enabled, it doesn't appear to be working so I've disconnected the dash and terminated that end with a 120ohm resistor.

That video is not relevant, it only applies to devices with hardwired terminating resistors, the dash (and some of our ecu's) have software-controlled terminating resistors, so when you turn off power the resistor is disconnected.  A lack of resistor wouldnt prevent the CAN lambdas from being detected either, they work fine with just the ecu termination.  

So if the lambdas started communicating only after you disconnected the dash, it would suggest the dash was wired wrong.   

Indeed it was, didn't think that I could go wrong with 4 wires... now dash is working ok.

I have the dash 14 pin plug with obd connector, I previously contacted AiM to see if was ok to splice into this and yes ok and no need for the spare wire of the three into the connector ...Black ,Blue, White. Turns out that the Black wire is CAN L, not the Blue as I'd used :(

Thanks for your help Adam