Motec Keypad

Yeahdoug

A car that’s being built already has a hodgepodge of new parts. (I wish they would have talked to me before buying stuff) G4x, c127 dash, no pdm, and a motec 8 button keypad. Didn’t think much of it, but I started getting ready to actually start working on it and it seems like the keypad might be a problem with no motec pdm. I found a few mentions that it might work through the c127 dash, but I’m not seeing that in any motec reference material. Do I need to tell them we need a Link or Grayhill keypad?  Thanks guys

It should be no drama.  Connect it to the ECU, set CAN port you are using to user defined mode and the bit rate to 1Mb/sec.  Go the CAN devices tab and click find devices, it should find the keypad, you can then click "configure device", then "Send default coms setup", this will re-program the keypad with all the default Link settings so it can then just be set up like a link keypad.  

• 4 weeks later...

Does the G5 software have to be used? I am working on this now but not getting very far with the older g4x software. Went through the process but it’s also a 15 button panel. It finds it as “Grayhill 3k series” but the old software only has 3k208. The new software has the GH 15 button so I’m thinking I need to use that. 

it says Node #1 on the back but when I configure it it says Node #10. I’ve tried setting the ID to 385, 394, 1, 10. So far no dice. Gonna try the G5 software next. Didn’t see the G5 was available until after I left. 

Ok I was able to try the new software/firmware and I made good progress before I left for work. I was able to get a simple button working and pressing on and off in the Runtime. I connected it to the Start position to run the starter. Pressed it for a second a few times and the starter worked. Yay. But then it died. Maybe after three button presses the panel stopped responding. I could see in the runtime it wasn't connected anymore. There were 2 CAN errors. I had to go in and re-send the configuration to get it working again. So that's my next challenge. Not sure if it went back to default settings or it timed out for some reason. I'll pick it up later today. 

More playing around with it. So if the CAN keypad loses power it can't reconnect until I Find Devices again. So I had both the keypad and ECU using Key On Power and it would only connect when I went into the CAN settings and did Find devices. If I turn off both the ECU and keypad, when I turned it back on it wouldn't connect on it's own until I did Find Devices again. 

I moved the keypad to Battery power and now it's OK with the ECU turning on and off with KOP. The problem is if I flip off the main battery switch or disconnect the battery you are back to having to go in and find the device. So that's not really a solution.

So my question is what happens when it looks for CAN devices. Is it sending out a CAN message and the keypad wakes up? Is there any work around you can think of. I am going to hook my CAN sniffer up and see what's happening, but maybe you have an easier way.

Thanks   

Just a follow up, I sniffed the CAN bus and tried manually sending the messages one by one the G4X sends out when you run "Find Devices". Found the one that the Keypad responded to and made a work around. So now the keypad starts working immediately when powered up.

Now I need to figure out how to activate the backlight on startup.... I wish we had just bought the Link keypad. lol

Thanks,