Subaru V9

Knox

Hello, today one subaru impreza sti v9 come to me for tuning. Ecu is G4+ plugin with 5sockets. I saw that AVCS not working correctly on Inlet LH cam, so I follow the calibration procedure and used the lowest number. When I did that AVCS target is 10 degree but camshaft turns around 3 degree. So, I increased the vvti offset value one by one under DI1 and after it start to shows same. When target is 10 degree, actual is 10 degree. I don't understand why Link's procedure did not solve the AVCS in first try. Do you think its a bad solenoid or do you think the way I did was wrong?

Would need to see a log to see what the solenoid duty cycle is doing but most likely it is PID related.  Quite often on the subarus you will need quite different base duty cycle on each side and sometimes different PID. 

17 hours ago, Adamw said:

Would need to see a log to see what the solenoid duty cycle is doing but most likely it is PID related.  Quite often on the subarus you will need quite different base duty cycle on each side and sometimes different PID. 

Today I take the car for drive. When engine oil is not get normal operating range AVCS works perfect with normal settings. After some drive and engine oil gets hot AVCS starts to come back. As I said before target is 10 and actual degree is 3-4. I forgot to have log because of its ok first. Do you advise to change pid settings only (increase slowly) or because of heat related just change the max DC clamp on Inlet LH custom settings?
On Inlet LH max dc clamp is 50% at 80 degree ect, I thought to try %55.

No, do a log first to see what the duty cycle is doing so you have some data to base any decisions to adjust on and also so you have some "before" data to compare to after making the change. 

On 1/26/2024 at 2:02 AM, Adamw said:

No, do a log first to see what the duty cycle is doing so you have some data to base any decisions to adjust on and also so you have some "before" data to compare to after making the change. 

Hello, here is the logs:
Name: 1 AVCS issue is with default settings. (This log you will see on begining lof log with default settings LH cam works good with default settings but after some time and I think oil gets hot you will see at around end of log  LH cam starts to fall back like target is 10 but actual vvti degree is 2-3).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cD5NhGx9ZhOudEKN2FwMBanZ5J7CfMK4/view?usp=drive_link

Name: 2 AVCS issue LH 80ect 5* to 55% (This file as I noted to te name I chaged %DC only 80 degree ect to 55 (default is50) and it seems work good).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10KeIQCwVq4-No_jxgeWsWRDX85YLRSoL/view?usp=drive_link

Please after saw the logs let me know what you think or adivse,

Thank you.

Edited by Knox

Yes it looks like it needed more DC, and is happier in your 2nd log.  It may still need more to give adequate response speed for quick changes in target but cant tell much from the log when it is just steady state. 

It is pretty unusual to need more than 50% DC on an EJ, usually they sit around 36-38%, it may indicate a mechanical issue is developing, so keep a close eye on it.  Potentially low oil pressure, a blocked avcs filter or internal leak.    

19 hours ago, Adamw said:

Yes it looks like it needed more DC, and is happier in your 2nd log.  It may still need more to give adequate response speed for quick changes in target but cant tell much from the log when it is just steady state. 

It is pretty unusual to need more than 50% DC on an EJ, usually they sit around 36-38%, it may indicate a mechanical issue is developing, so keep a close eye on it.  Potentially low oil pressure, a blocked avcs filter or internal leak.    

thank you for great support as always. I already told the customer to check the filters and oil pressure wit his mechanic before finish the tune.