Half-Lit CEL / Occasionally Flashing Battery Light (DC5 Integra)

avenged

Hey Link community! I have a G4X installed in my '05 Integra. This started life as an automatic JDM Type S (the 160 bhp variant) before I swapped a 6MT and true VTEC engine set-up inside.

I've had the car running for about half a year now. We (my workshop and I) have slowly sorted out a bunch of gremlins during this time, except that the CEL remains constantly half-lit and the battery light flashes every now and then. CEL can light up fully (e.g. during initial power-on), and battery was replaced late 2023 so definitely not an actual issue with the bulb or the battery.

The car itself actually seems to run fine - I drive it hard at least every week or so without issues.

Would anyone happen to know if we should look out for any particular mis-wiring or mis-configuration that could be causing this issue? As I don't have the tools/hardware to perform any changes I'd have to take any suggestions back to my workshop to test.

Thanks!

Edit: The car was stalling randomly (and often) whenever in neutral gear (I.e. not under load). We tried a whole bunch of fixes and finally changed the entire IACV. It worked fine for 2 entire weeks... But last night it stalled again. I'm now also wondering if it might have been partially ECU related too because I did hear of an Accord Euro R finally resolving a similar stalling issue by rewiring an incorrect connection.

Edited by avenged

The only times I've ever had a car with a half lit CEL was due to poor grounding.  These weren't on Hondas, but I suspect you are having some voltage back feed throught he CEL bulb for a similar reason.  Clean/check/improve all grounds and see if that helps.

If the CE light is an LED there could potentially be enough current leaking through the fault detection circuit when the aux is off to generate enough photons to be visible.  Its only about 0.1mA so hard to imagine that would ever be enough, but that would depend on the specific LED and ambient light etc.  I dont remember the CE lamp in our integra test car being visible when off.  

For the charge lamp, that is controlled over K-line, from memory the ecu sends measured battery voltage to the cluster, so start by logging battery voltage to see if that looks normal.  Most of these cars have a dual voltage alternator that the ecu can switch between normal and low voltage mode, but this is disabled in our base map so it should charge at full voltage all the time.

On 2/21/2024 at 2:26 AM, koracing said:

The only times I've ever had a car with a half lit CEL was due to poor grounding.  These weren't on Hondas, but I suspect you are having some voltage back feed throught he CEL bulb for a similar reason.  Clean/check/improve all grounds and see if that helps.

Hey man, thank you for this. The car is at the workshop for a few days and I've already told them to check grounding. Are there any particular wires to keep an eye out for?

Also, I've added an edit about some stalling issues - would you happen to know if an improper wiring connection could cause that?

On 2/21/2024 at 4:55 AM, Adamw said:

If the CE light is an LED there could potentially be enough current leaking through the fault detection circuit when the aux is off to generate enough photons to be visible.  Its only about 0.1mA so hard to imagine that would ever be enough, but that would depend on the specific LED and ambient light etc.  I dont remember the CE lamp in our integra test car being visible when off.  

For the charge lamp, that is controlled over K-line, from memory the ecu sends measured battery voltage to the cluster, so start by logging battery voltage to see if that looks normal.  Most of these cars have a dual voltage alternator that the ecu can switch between normal and low voltage mode, but this is disabled in our base map so it should charge at full voltage all the time.

Hey Adam, thank you so much for that. Let me share this info with my workshop as they're the technical folks - I must confess I don't fully understand the details.

I also added an edit about the car stalling - I thought we had that problem solved with the idle valve replaced but now it's come back again - albeit only once since. I wonder if improper wiring connection could nave contributed to it too?

On 2/20/2024 at 11:38 PM, avenged said:

Edit: The car was stalling randomly (and often) whenever in neutral gear (I.e. not under load). We tried a whole bunch of fixes and finally changed the entire IACV. It worked fine for 2 entire weeks... But last night it stalled again. I'm now also wondering if it might have been partially ECU related too because I did hear of an Accord Euro R finally resolving a similar stalling issue by rewiring an incorrect connection.

More likely tune related, dashpot or base position not correct for a certain combination of events.  You will need to capture the stall in a log to see what is causing it.