4a-ge triggers

Guy Zahratka

Hi,

You would need to use 1 tooth per TDC mode for your triggering and have your sync setup as cam 1x.

Have you modified the factory distributor? As the normal setup is 24teeth and 4 teeth.

Which 4age engine is it that you have?

Regards,

Scott

Good morning Guy,

Normally we would have expected this distributor to have 24 teeth on Trig 1 and 4 teeth on Trig 2. Are you able to remove the distributor cap and confirm your tooth counts?

When you are doing the trigger calibration there are no prompts. You need to set lock to reference to on, put your timing tight on the mark you have set in ref timing, then adjust the trigger offset until the mark on the pulley lines up with your ref timing mark.

Make sure your ECU is online when doing this.

Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Triggers have signals and I have spark but when I install plugs in head, I lose both cam/crank signals and spark. I have a distributor with both cam and crank sensors in it.  This is a Toyota 4A-GE 16 valve silver top 1600 cc.  I have 2 stock engines both have same distributors.  4 tooth and 1 tooth in distributor.

When turning over without plugs in I have signal 1 & 2, but they flash on and off when turning engine over.  RPM reads on and off also, turning over 375 RPM to 0 back and forth while cranking over.

I have link set on after #1  - 1 tooth per tdc - cam.   Engine will not run.  What is it that I'm doing wrong?  I lose both signals even with coil unhooked (have good battery) and plugs installed.  Engine turns over normal speed.

Thanks,

Lost Guy

Hi Guy,

Here are a couple of things to check:

If none of these help you, save your basemap and email it to [email protected] and we can have a look and do some testing.

Cheers,

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott 

I figured out my problem with the triggers, they were adjusted wrong (to wide of a gap).  I readjusted both triggers to factory specs, now engine starts and idles great.  My issue now is when I open the throttle the engine dies.  It seems like it is not getting fuel.  Throttle position sensor is working and reading correctly, map sensor is reading correctly.  I don't think the injectors are opening up.  I'm running low impedence injectors.  When I use injector test on link G3 I can hear them working.  When running, I do not think they are opening more then enough to idle the engine.  Engine will not rev up.  I must be missing something.  Any help?  Thanks Guy

Hi Guy,

Great that you got your trigger problem sorted!

Are you running your low impedance injectors with a ballast resistor pack?

Do you have an oxygen sensor to monitor your AFRs?

What injector duty cycle are your injectors reaching?

If you reply with your basemap attached I can have a look for anything obviously wrong.

Cheers,

Scott