CAN Gauge not reading data after engine start

timslib

Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of an issue with my Link CAN Gauge, sometimes after engine start, it won't receive data from the ECU (WRXLink9) and just shows zeros until I restart the car.

It's connected to accessory switched, does it need to be on the ignition "ON" position so it retains power during cranking? I'm assuming it must be dropping connection or something.

any help is appreciated, thanks guys

Yeah I think it will need to be powered up whenever the ECU is live.  Part of the CAN standards is an error checking system, if no device acknowledges the messages the ecu is sending it must report a transmit error, once it reaches 255 transmit errors then it goes to "bus off" state.  The bus wont be reset until it is power cycled or you open the CAN screen and hit apply again.

3 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Yeah I think it will need to be powered up whenever the ECU is live.  Part of the CAN standards is an error checking system, if no device acknowledges the messages the ecu is sending it must report a transmit error, once it reaches 255 transmit errors then it goes to "bus off" state.  The bus wont be reset until it is power cycled or you open the CAN screen and hit apply again.

Roger that. I'll make the changes in the wiring and report back. Thanks again Adam! :)

Confirmed, moving to ignition switched solved the issue.

And now, reading the manual, it actually does specify "ignition switched" not accessory. My mistake. Lol.

Thanks again Adam!