WRX 16bit to 32bit cam sensor

rocklizzard91

Hello everyone!

I have a 2002 WRX with a G4+ (16bit factory ECU / 2 wire reluctor cam sensor) with a version 9 EJ207 that I recently blew up. I have an option to get a 32bit style engine (3 wire hall effect sensor) for very cheap to get the car running while I build a long term solution. I've seen guys wallow out the hole to put the reluctor sensor in the newer engine and put the matching cam in to get it running, but thats usually on the factory 16 bit ECU. I have this "crazy" idea that I could just run the hall effect sensor on this new engine and simplify the swap.

I checked and currently the 2-wire runs a ground and signal wire from the ECU, so I would just need to run a power wire to each sensor to get it working and I would be set, right? It sounds too easy, so I wanted to see if the G4+ can run the cams off the hall effect without changing anything else (so I can go back to the 2-wire when I build another engine)

Thought?

Thanks!

Either would work provided the sensor matches the tooth pattern/shape and it is a supported trigger mode.  I dont know all the EJ variations in all regions, but I suspect your "V9" engine would have a separate sync sensor at the front of the engine whereas the later hall effect engine just has the two AVCS sensors at the back?

On 5/31/2024 at 4:45 AM, Adamw said:

Either would work provided the sensor matches the tooth pattern/shape and it is a supported trigger mode.  I dont know all the EJ variations in all regions, but I suspect your "V9" engine would have a separate sync sensor at the front of the engine whereas the later hall effect engine just has the two AVCS sensors at the back?

Yes, I did forget about that. The V9 engine has a sensor behind the driver intake cam gear so I could swap that over to the new engine no problem, unless theres a way to sync everything without it. It wouldn't make sense how it would? if the V9 engine reads at the crank and cam gear as well as the rear of the cam to measure the cam timing offset, how could it do that without the front cam sensor? Just relying on the crank sensor and assuming that static timing hasn't changed?

The "EJ20 Quad AVCS" or "EJ25 AVCS" trigger mode is designed for the engines without the separate front sync sensor, they use the left rear intake sensor for sync instead.  But to make this work you will need to move the wire that comes from the rear left-hand intake cam sensor to trigger 2 (originally it would have been connected to DI1).

To clarify, at the ecu plug you need to remove the wire that is currently in pin B1 (old front cam sensor - just tape this wire up out of the way somewhere), then move the LH rear cam wire from its current position in Pin E9 to B1.  Run two new +12V wires to the rear cam sensors and swap plugs/pinout to match the new sensors. 

• 1 month later...

On 6/4/2024 at 4:52 PM, Adamw said:

The "EJ20 Quad AVCS" or "EJ25 AVCS" trigger mode is designed for the engines without the separate front sync sensor, they use the left rear intake sensor for sync instead.  But to make this work you will need to move the wire that comes from the rear left-hand intake cam sensor to trigger 2 (originally it would have been connected to DI1).

To clarify, at the ecu plug you need to remove the wire that is currently in pin B1 (old front cam sensor - just tape this wire up out of the way somewhere), then move the LH rear cam wire from its current position in Pin E9 to B1.  Run two new +12V wires to the rear cam sensors and swap plugs/pinout to match the new sensors. 

Alright!! I got the engine in and wired up.

I have the front 2-wire cam trigger and two 3-wire cam position sensors wired up with 12v, sensor ground and signal following http://i.imgur.com/0ixzoZh.png

I also swapped the VVT cam control mode to both the "Subaru AVCS EJ25" and "Subaru Quad AVCS" and neither of them are picking up any cam position signals. I am running this on the V7-V9 plug in ECU, so maybe I need to swap some sensor data? I looked at that sensor data in the manual and none of the examples use both the rear inlet sensors as well as the front trigger like the V7-V9. Is this possible? or do I NEED to fully run it in Quad AVCS mode and ditch the front cam sensor trigger to get the rear sensors to get this work? Was hoping to run this closer to the V7-V9 setup but just using it with the newer 3-wire cam position sensors. I thought it would be as simple as swapping a reluctor sensor for a hall effect sensor and maybe thats not the case.

Edit:

Worked on swapping pins and it's running TERRIBLE. I'm going to check continuity but in either mode I haven't had a right hand sensor and that seems to be the one what doesn't need any work at all. The ECU isn't picking up and sensor voltage. This is 12v for sensors, not 5v?

If you have the front cam sensor connected to trigger 2 then you need to use V7-9 trigger mode.  

VVT mode will depend on how many teeth the rear cam sensors have.  3 teeth or 4 teeth?