PDM ignition power

cwhite951

SO a really basic question but not covered in any manuals. 

I'm using a Razor with a Thunder and the thunder is set up with an ECU power hold configuration. would it make sense to wire the Razor ignition power to hte ECU relay out put so that the Razor stay on during the extended on time? this woudl be used to keep cooling fans and turbo cooling pump on for 30 seconds after the engine is off. This is for a track car so coming off the track hot it woudl be good to run hte cooling for a little while - especially the turbo coolant pump.

another basic question - cooling fans. I could use the thunder to program them with the PDM powering them or use ECT can input to have the Razor program the operation. Is there a benefit for either ECU or PDM to determine the operational parameters? I'm still figuring this stuff out!

4 hours ago, cwhite951 said:

would it make sense to wire the Razor ignition power to hte ECU relay out put so that the Razor stay on during the extended on time?

Yes, this should work as described. 

4 hours ago, cwhite951 said:

another basic question - cooling fans. I could use the thunder to program them with the PDM powering them or use ECT can input to have the Razor program the operation. Is there a benefit for either ECU or PDM to determine the operational parameters? I'm still figuring this stuff out!

I typically do all the fan logic in the ecu and send the virtual aux/CAN aux to the PDM for a couple of reasons - 1) Im connected to the ECU a lot more often, 2) its nicer to be able to adjust and test all engine related controls in the same place without swapping between softwares etc.  The only extra limitation to consider with a G4+ is it cant send PWM values over CAN, so if you want variable fan speed I would still do the on/off settings in the ECU, but also send ECT separately to the PDM and do the speed control in the PDM.