Subaru Bosch Knock Sensor

Levon Luther

Howdy everybody - pretty new to link, and will be tinkering with this platform on my 2004 STi.

I noticed a few people on here got a bosch knock sensor when they purchase either the ECU, or the Knock Block. I just got both of them last week and now I have to buy a knock sensor after spending that much coin??

I noticed we need the bosch sensor, but which model number? I was looking around on both NASIOC and here and couldn't find which one I needed that would work. I found:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CO2X5I/ref=gno_cart_title_2

I'm not certain that is the right one, looking for some advice. Thanks!

Hi Levon,

I have answered you by email, but will post here also for other forum users.

The knock block is happy to work with the factory Subaru sensor.
It will be a second harmonic sensor so frequency will be in the 12-13Khz range

The standard subaru knock sensor will work well with the knock block and your tuner will be able to hear knock fine, there is no need to use a bosch one.

Cheers,

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you much scott. I appreciate it. A member from the subaru forums contacted me and suggested using the stock sensor for the knock block to listen to it, but then use a bosch sensor for the ECU to 'listen' to for some double protection.

I'm still am not 100% sure how I  want to wire this up, or even 100% what I'd send from the knock block to the ECU. I'm using a Link plug n play for the V10 Suby.

Hi Levon,

You will only need the one sensor, you can use the factory subaru sensor or a bosch one.

The normal setup for a knock block in a permanent install is to have the knock block detecting knock, it will then feed this back to the ECU on a spare digital input. The ECU can then be setup to retard the ignition timing to stop the detonation.

In addition the ECU also needs to send a signal to the knock block so that the knockblock knows when to listen. This is called the 'knock window' and you will require a spare Auxiliary output on your ECU for this.

So in summary your ECU will require a spare Digital Input and a spare Auxiliary Output in order to work with the knock block.

There is a fair bit of learning that needs to go on to understand how the system work, but it is worthwhile.

Cheers,

Scott