98 octane fuel and gts link G1

Jon

hey guys, i have an r32 skyline gts-t running an rb25de+t. i bought the car out of auckland about two years ago and it ran really good for the first few months, but it seemed to have slid downhill fairly quickly. the engine was built and tuned up in auckland and im guessing they tuned it on 98ron fuel (a luxury we dont have in nelson)as you would if you live somewhere with a constant supply of it. i would like to hear from someone who knows whether running a 98 tuned engine on 95 would cause the engine to not run so great? its had a bad head gasket for a while and as such didnt see any use over the last 12 months or so and i thought that was the cause of the issues, but ive just had the head gasket replaced amongst other things and now it is running better than before, but still feels like it is out of tune and doesnt pull nearly as hard as it did when i first got it. also my ecu is the old school G1 that can only be used with a hand controller. im a bit of a novice can someone tell me what the lambda setting does? it can either be set to on or off. thanks in advance

If the engine was tuned to 98 i would be pulling some timing out before driving it too hard.

The change of fuel to a lower octane could bring on knock and very much shorten the life of the engine.

The Lambda settings are used as a target Lambda value for when closed loop is turned on.

http://www.linkecu.com/products/pdfs/gtslinkinstructionmanual

• 1 month later...

ok well the car was making a lot more power before i had the head gasket done. i have spoken to another mechanic and was told to take the car to an auto electrician who will be able to read the engine fault code from the ecu but im doubting this as its not a nissan computer would i be correct assuming this? the engine idles fine and runs smooth enough but once it comes on boost it is really lacking in power. would you have any idea what could be causing this? i thought maybe the timing wasnt advancing but have used a timing light and it is. so i wouldnt have a clue. could it be a faulty map sensor or something?

Yep you would need to see a tuner and they will be able to hook up to the ECU and then might be able to see something. If a MAP had failed I would expect the car to be almost undriveable.

Where abouts are you based as you might have a local friendly tuner I can point you to.

• 4 weeks later...

i am based in nelson but the car is now based in christchurch, undecided whether its coming back at this point as i may end up down there as well by new year. either way i'll be going to a new g4 with the help of nzefi they seem to know their stuff. thanks for the advice, much appreciated