weak spark signal on blue wire

Jim MacDiarmid

Hi, I have a LinkPlus V10 that I have just installed into my car. I have not been able to get the car to fire, and have traced the problem down to the signal from the ECU on the blue wire. I have a distributor with an optical trigger setup, the Link has the correct board for this. The distributer is out at the moment so that i can spin the gear on the bottom to simulate engine turning over. I have a device that can measure spark length, attached to the output of the coil. I am using a Toyota igniter that has been working well with my old hall effect sensor (previous carb setup). The spark from the coil with the Hall effect on the distributor, is a big blue spark that will jump 21mm before breaking down. When I connect the link thru and spin the distibuter (optical sensor) the spark from the coil is a weak spark that would be lucky to make 4mm. The output on the blue wire is strong enough to power a LED, but not a test bulb. I have the dwell set to the max of 5.5ms through the PC Link. Any idea on the cure?

I would suggest a change of igniter to something that is suited to being driven off an ECU rather than direct from a distributor. Igniters that are triggered directly have built in dwell control which will be fighting the dwell control from the ECU.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim.

The Link 2ch ignitor is always what I would recommend, however by the looks of the ignitor wiring attached it will not work with our system anyway.

Long story short, this ignitor will want to control the dwell time itself (smart ignitor), and the Link ECU needs to be able to control the dwell.  A 3 wire ignitor is all the Link system will need.

Jurgen