Serial link short circuit

Tkymik

I just bought a brand new serial link for my link g1 v4. I attached the serial link to the ecu and laptop then when I switched the ignition to power up the ecu so i can start downloading the current settings it shorted and burned the serial link. Did I do something wrong? or something wrong with the ECU? or is the serialink defective? I'm a bit frustrated because I think theres nothing wrong with the ecu because the car is running fine now. I need to tune it again after i install a turbo kit. Any ideas? Thanks

Check the ribbon cable for any damage. Also check the ribbon conector on the ECU often pins can be bent / damaged. We will have to get the Serial link back to repair.

Are there different versions of the serial link? A friend of mine checked my serial link and compared mine to another serial link which we downloaded from the net. He said they are not the same. Something about the positive and negative crossing causing the short circuit. Anyway to cut it short he already solved the problem for me. A trip to the local electronics store and bought a new IC, capacitors and diode then he built me a new serial link. Got it running last night with a usb to serial adapter and laptop(vista). I'm just a little sad because I bought that for $187(US).