Suzuki GSXR 1000

Paul Hassell

Hi TeamJHR,

I'm running a vipec v44 on a Suzuki GSXR 1000 k5. This motorcycle has a turbocharged engine. And I have several Suzuki Hayabusas running vipec i44 all with good results till now.

Regards,

Dolfo

Hi TeamJHR,

Yes you will require ignition modules if you have dumb coils.

You can use 2 x double output (dual channel) ignition modules.

You don't need to run one per coil.

If you can find COP (coil on plug smart coils , coils with inbuilt ignitors)  use them.

You also have the option to run a 4 channel CDI.

Is the engine going to have forced induction if so you need a MAP sensor to suit your boost level.

You will need ECT sensor and an Inlet air temp sensor, if your engine is already fitted with these you can use the OEM sensors.

Obviously you will require a TPS which should also be standard fitment on the engine already.

May I suggest seriously fitting 4 x EGT (PYRO) sensors, this will give very accurate tuning data and also employ trimming strategies and engine protection strategies before the engine has a catastrophic failure.

You may also wish to run oil pressure and fuel pressure sensors.

If you want any help setting the system up and creating base files etc I can help out.

Just email me at [email protected]

Regards

Dave.

Hi TeamJHR,

I use most of the Suzuki sensors. Extra sensors depends on what you’re building the bike for. My bike is built for drag race.

I use a four channel ignition coil driver with standard Suzuki coils. Wideband O2 controller & sensor. I also have oil pressure and fuel pressure sensor.

I would recommend changing the standard cam sensor (reluctor type) to a hall type it will save you some time and trouble.

Regards,

Dolfo  

Cool, thanks for the info.

I suppose I should explain what we are fitting the ECUS too, we have a twin engined Autograss Special that we race in the UK and it has 2x Suzuki GSXR 100 K4 engines side by side in the back, and for 2016 we are going to be supported by Link.

BHP Show 2015 Low Res No Logo-7.jpg

Edited by TeamJHR
spelling

Thanks for sharing TeamJHR, it looks epic!

Has anyone done an installation for a motorcycle which isn't being used for racing? Like perhaps a street motorcycle.

What I am getting at is the ability to support the Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator, or, if this STVA unit is deleted can I expect any air flow (air speed) problems at low engine speed? That STVA seems to be the most particular items on a motorcycle installation, aside from the engine speed and cylinder reference solutions of course. The other challenge I was thinking about was injector data so that the OEM units can be retained rather than having to replace them. From the examples I have seen, they've been competition influenced meaning that very little of the OEM was retained so I feel as though I am over thinking the installation.

Can anyone chime in here and give me some assistance please. Many thanks in advance.

Hi there, 

Thanks very much for your input, we do not run the secondary butterfies because, as you say, they only really effect low speed and that is not an issue with this car, so we do not need to worry about the STVA.

My tuner advises me that the standard injectors should be fine with the new ECU, but I guess time will tell.

Paul.

Thanks very much Dolfo, we are not doing the installation till the closed season rebuild which will start at beginning of November, we have 2 more events before then.

We will be posting the Link install updates on our Facebook page if anybody is interested.

Josh Hassell Racing.

Edited by TeamJHR
spelling

• 3 weeks later...

I had not posted for a few days as we have been waiting for all the parts to arrive, thanks very much to Link for supplying all the parts we need to complete this build, and to Scott for his technical assistance via email.

Our season is now finally over and we will be starting the winter overhaul this weekend, so no doubt I will be posting loads of silly questions and pictures up from time to time.

One quick question, how are you motorcycle engined guys mounting your knock sensors to the engines, 1 for Dolfo perhaps.

Cheers Paul.

Hi Paul,

I saw you had a great weekend a santa pod with some great results. Good job!

Sorry mate I don’t use knock sensors on my motorcycle so I can’t answer that question. Once I did use an external knock detection system to tune with but didn’t record much noise.

I think because of the fuel I’m using and I started with very conservative ignition timing. So I found my setup is not knock limited because I’ll reach MBT before it starts knocking.

Regards,

Dolfo

Yes we had a brilliant weekend at Santa Pod thanks Dolfo.

Thank you Scott that makes perfect sense, and there is a water bung on the back of the block which is easy to get to and easily removable, we are thinking of JB Welding an M8 bolt into it and using that for the mounting post for the knock sensor.