Ignition Timing Subaru EG33

Anthony Parle

Have a G4 on a Subaru EG33,

I am having trouble getting the timing correct using a timing light,

In "Set Base Timing" I know from other people with the same engine that Offset adjustment should be 60 degrees & Ref Timing 10 degrees.  At those setting I can't get a spark on cylinder 4.  I can't get any sort of spark unless Offset is set at Zero or 80.  When I try any other number the timing light doesn't work for some reasons.  You can clearly see that 60 is the right number but I need the spark to work.

Also is there anywhere on the G4 software that I can see the voltage that the triggers 1 & 2 are sending back to the ECU?

Arming volts is 0.5V

Edited by Anthony Parle

Hi Anthony,

With the engine cranking the ECU will send out the ignition 1 signal regardless of what number the base timing offset. If it is only doing this sometimes it indicates that there is a problem with trigger 1 or 2. Are you getting many trigger errors when cranking? The reluctor arming values could be causing the problem if not set correctly. The G4+ ECUs have a function called TriggerScope, however the G4 ECUs do not have this (exception being some plug-in ECUs). Do you have access to an oscilloscope?

Scott.

Hi Scott,

Okay swapped sensors and no change, increased and decreased trigger arming as well as increased and decrease "Trigger Filtering" no change. It is as if the way the teeth line up it only works at 0 & 80 degree

It just did happen for me.  Had a bit of a go with the scope but didn't work it out, its only a single channel one.

Given the sensors on the motor are most likely 25 years old in design as well as physical I was thinking of swapping to a Hall Effect Sensor.  I need to be able to run the engine to 10,000 rpm so don't think the older sensors will stand the pain.

For high RPM are hall effect sensors better?

Will the trigger circuit handle 12V from the hall effect sensor?

Have attached the file

G4 Extreme EG33 SVX 160613.pcl

Edited by Anthony Parle

Hi Anthony,

No problem to use hall or reluctor sensors at high RPM. Some tuners have reported problems with the GT101 hall sensor at high rpm with trigger wheels with a large amount of teeth.

The ECU can accept a 0 to 12v hall type signal on the trigger channels.

The G4+ Atom does not have Trigger Scope, so may not help you identifying the problem. I will have a look at your base-map and report back if I see anything wrong.

Scott.

So I gave up with the standard Subaru cam and crank sensors so I replaced them Hal Effect units today,  So now the timing light works on all the degrees and I have got the correct offset finally.

Issues, 

I had to grind the lip off the cam pulley to give the sensor a clear read of lobe.

I am supplying the sensors with 8V from the ECU but Trig 2 must be draining to much current as the maximum voltage feeding back to the ECU is 1.8 V so I had to use the pull up resister in the ECU.  May up the supply voltage to sensors to 12 V so as I can get a higher signal voltage.

Hi Anthony,

Well done on getting it all going. For the trigger inputs when using a hall type signal the high/low voltage threshold is 1.5v. I read your other thread where you talked about the projects you have, very interesting.

Scott.