BMW S62 trigger setup

Raul Herrero

Hi there

I have a customer who wants install a BMW S62 engine on his drift car, this engine is from a BMW M5 E39, it is a V8 with 4 vanos.

This engine is really similar to the M62. I checked the trigger list but i did not found an specific trigger patter for this engine. Could i install any other to run this engine with a LINK ecu?

I just done a quick google to learn a little about this engine and I dont think we could support the vanos on this engine.  I assume it is like other BMW's that have two solenoids per cam? - one for advance and one for retard.  That would need 8 aux outputs and currently the firmware only allows 4 VVT outputs.

The trigger pattern is also unknown.

Most likely the crank is 60-2 and one of the cam patterns may match one of the other BMW triggers we support so if you were prepared to loose the vanos you could probably run it fine. 

i suppose this... but one thing, as this engine has 4 vanos, and needs 2 outputs per vanos, but it is a V8, can we use same output for the advance vanos (right and left) and the same output for retard (right and left). Doing in this way, we only need 4 outputs. but i dont know if the ecu has any problem

I watched a video from a guy who has a BMW V8 S65 from the BMW e92 M3 with full vanos working (he said this...) and has a extreme ecu installed

Normally camshaft angle is closed loop with feedback from a cam position sensor.  If you drive one set of camshafts blind with no feedback it is very unlikely they will follow the commanded position very well, at least for any period of time. Maybe for a few minutes they will follow each other but after that variables such friction, clearances, leakage, oil pressure, vibration, solenoid characteristics etc will push the camshafts further and further out of sync.