E30 SR20 help

devan1811

Good Morning,

I am new to this so please bare with me, I have bought a second hand Link G4 (S13-S14) (LONG) from a guy who had the car tuned at Abbey Motorsport, I basically just got the unit on its own with no wiring, sensors etc... I was going with an Apexi Power FC until this came up.

Now I have just built a BMW E30 with a SR20DET running a GARRETT GTX3076R, turbosmart external wastegate, 850cc Sard injectors, forged lump etc.... I have bought a IAT sensor to plumb into my intercooler pipe, iv got external gauges for oil pressure, temp, water temp & Boost... but what do I do with regards to boost control??

Do I buy a Gizzmo boost controller with display or can I buy a boost solenoid for my ECU?

Is there anything else I will need to buy before going to a mapper, as I need a base map to run my new engine in or is there a way for me to do a base map at home to run it?

Hi Devan,

This ecu will do open or closed loop boost control, you will only need a wastegate solenoid.  An aftermarket "Mac" solenoid is usually easier to work with than a factory one.

There is a S13-S14 base map included in PC Link software that will get you running with minimal tweaks.  You will need to check all sensors read right, all outputs are assigned correctly, check base timing and adjust "fuel master" for the bigger injectors and it should be a runner.  Said with a big proviso that your wiring is correct... 

Hi Adam,

thank you for the reply it is something I can now work with and know what is needed. By the looks all wiring is correct but I just didn't want to try starting it until I know I have everything before hand.

Is it worth going for a 3 or 4 port MAC Solenoid as i am not too sure on this one?

Actually looking at it I think 4 port is my better option with my setup

A 3 port is generally easier in a road car.  A 4 port can give you more "increase" over spring pressure but on the down side they are often more sensitive to duty cycle so can be more difficult to tune.  So my suggestion is stick with 3 port unless you want to run more than say 3 x spring pressure.

A 3 port is generally easier in a road car.  A 4 port can give you more "increase" over spring pressure but on the down side they are often more sensitive to duty cycle so can be more difficult to tune.  So my suggestion is stick with 3 port unless you want to run more than say 3 x spring pressure.

okay that's better for me as its cheaper. just ordered one now.

cheers