3SGE VVT wiring question

Beams AE82

Good morning all.

I hope that someone will be  provide me with some assistance. I have completed the mechanical elements of my Corolla EE80 FWD / 3SGE Gen4 Beams build and am currently busy wiring in my V88 ECU. Could someone possibly confirm the Inlet VVT solenoid wiring for me? As I understand, the + terminal wires into an assigned Auxiliary Input, in my case no.3. The - terminal should go to sensor ground. For one or other reason I am doubting this..

I hope someone will be able to clarify for me.

Robin

Good morning all.

I hope that someone will be  provide me with some assistance. I have completed the mechanical elements of my Corolla EE80 FWD / 3SGE Gen4 Beams build and am currently busy wiring in my V88 ECU. Could someone possibly confirm the Inlet VVT solenoid wiring for me? As I understand, the + terminal wires into an assigned Auxiliary Input, in my case no.3. The - terminal should go to sensor ground. For one or other reason I am doubting this..

I hope someone will be able to clarify for me.

Robin

I hid your similar post that was in the G2/G3 section just to keep things tidy.  So as per Integrale8V suggestion, you have it basically opposite to what it should be.  One side should be connected to the ECU Aux, the other side to a switched 12V source.

Edited by Adamw

Thank you for your responses gentlemen.

I may not have been clear with regards the description of my current variable timing setup, sorry. The camshaft timing control is continually variable - VVTi and not ON/OFF switched control. A PWM output is required to control the solenoid. This I have configured within my start up file, based upon the SXE-10 startup file in the VTS software as well as the file in the PC Link software.

The solenoid or rather OCV (Oil Control Valve) per Toyota description, has a 2 pin connector. One is assigned to a suitable PWM enabled Auxiliary output and the other needs to be connected - to sensor ground, I think. This is what I require clarity on please.

I am unfortunately not near a PC with VTS loaded otherwise I'd share a screenshot of my config including VVT setup for further clarity.

Hi Robin, 

The above responses are correct, one wire goes to your Aux output (This is the earth side of it)
So the other wire needs to supply power to the solenoid or it's not going to do anything :)

It's essentially wired the same way that an injector is. The ECU earths the connection, rather than supplies power.

Note - you need to wire a VVTI solenoid to aux 1-4, none of the others.

Edited by Davidv

Ok, I now follow, thank you David.

I have assigned Aux 3 per recommendation in the help files and as you have suggested above. I will now route a power supply from my ECU power up relay to the + terminal of the solenoid so that power is only supplied at Ignition ON.

Thanks a mil for the quick responses and help gents, much appreciated!

Good morning all. 

After correcting my VVT wiring I was eventually ready to crank The engine over for the first time. I have noticed that there is no crank angle sensor signal coming to the ecu and this no Tacho signal output iether. 

After running through the wiring diagrams in the help files I may have found 1 issue. The help files suggest to connect the shield to tje ground wire at the ecu end of the cable. I have connected the shield to the ground wire atvthe sensor end as well. Could this cause any issues?

I have also noticed that there is continuity between the sensor ground and chassis ground terminals when checking via the harness. Is this correct?

My configuration for Trigger setup is as per thehelp files 3SGE Beams guidelines.

After running through the wiring diagrams in the help files I may have found 1 issue. The help files suggest to connect the shield to tje ground wire at the ecu end of the cable. I have connected the shield to the ground wire atvthe sensor end as well. Could this cause any issues?

Preferably you will have it connected at the ECU only but it is not going to stop a signal getting through for now. You will want to fix it before driving/tuning but it should be fine to get it running.

I have also noticed that there is continuity between the sensor ground and chassis ground terminals when checking via the harness. Is this correct?   

This is normal and expected.

My first suggestion is take a look at the runtimes (F12) while cranking.  Trig 1 & 2 signal should both turn green and say "yes".  This will tell us if any signal is reaching the ecu.

wFltoyL.png

Hi Adam. 

There is no signal input visible on the run time page. I did a check on my signal wiring and it appears there is a problem between my firewall plug and ecu plug. There is no continuity on the red trigger wire. 

I'm out of town this week and only back home over the weekend. Will sort out the wiring issue then and keep you posted on progress. 

Thanks for the assistance this far.

Hello again Adam.

Upon my return to town last evening, I ran a continuity check again on my trigger signal wiring. All was in order despite my incorrect diagnosis earlier this week.

I proceeded to disconnect the Crank angle sensor and then connected a spare sensor. This sensor was in OE configuration with the shield not linked to the negative wire. After powering up, I passed a screwdriver over this sensor and immediately had signal reflecting on the Runtimes page.

I then opened up the original sensor wiring at the sensor end and broke my connection of the shield wiring to ground wire as discussed previously. Now, when cranking the engine I have a signal and rpm count.

Next I need to set my ignition base timing and will attempt a start up thereafter.

Thanks again for all the willing assistance.

Base timing set and engine started up immediately this morning! Oil pressure, fuel pressure, oil and water temp all good. 

Thanks again to all who have assisted me thus far. 

Once I've competed the exhaust cold end I'll be ready to start road tuning. Hopefully before the end of the weekend. 

20170922_175355.jpg

20170922_171514.jpg