Direct Spark on Cam Sensing

CMSport

Hey guys and gals, just wondering if someone can confirm for me whether I can successfully setup direct spark IGN on cam sensing alone?

I am converting from a distributed spark setup, where I have ground 2 teeth off the 3 tooth wheel to provide a cam pulse 1x reference and the second being a 24 tooth position sensor. The information I seem to be getting on repeat is that, if I want to run direct spark, I must use a position sensor running at crank speed. What seems conflicting to this logic is, in the help menu, sequential injection similarly requires 720deg crank position sensing which can be done with a suitable cam sensor.

To me, the same position sensing should be able to be used for IGN and Injection sequential firing... or have I missed the boat somewhere? 

Cheers

Tim

You will be fine to use just the CAM sensor 24 and a single sync pulse was standard on a number of Toyotas for years. Its no different to 12 on crank and 1 on cam.

Only note would be that with only a cam trigger any movement between the crank and the cam (gear/belt/chain lash) will cause timing movement.

Awesome, thanks Simon! The distributed setup on cam angle sensing has survived for the past 30yrs so I'm happy to trust its degree of accuracy... [pun intended] :)

I feel there should be a note in the IGN setup help dialog screen stating this, as it does in fuel setup, regarding sequential inj... just to add my $0.02 

Cheers

Tim