Temperature sensors for oil

Adzn3k

You can use it provided you are no longer going to have the gauge connected.  If you want a gauge still I would suggest it will be easier to use a separate sensor.  Note however if calibration is unknown and you dont have a good idea how to check that yourself then it will probably be better to buy a sensor with a known calibration.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, DanDan said:

Hi

I was wondering if Link ecu have a specific oil temp sensor which they have calibrated or what other oil temp sensor are people using with there Link ecu's?

Thanks Dan 

If you want something from Link themselves, I believe this is the link to their unit - http://dealers.linkecu.com/NTC12_2

Most of the common Delphi and Bosch "coolant temp sensors" are only rated to 130°C by the manufacturer but I have found they are still acceptably accurate enough up to about 140°C (using our built-in calibrations) and will still continue to measure up to a max of about 150°C (less accurate).  

So, if your oil temp is normally below say 140°C I dont see any need for a specific "oil temp" sensor, a standard coolant temp sensor seems to do it fine.

Thanks for your reply's 

Also i was also wondering if anyone knows how to wire up the 2 way temp sensor plug with an external pullup resistor? 

Is it +5v - 1k ohm resistor - signal wire(an temp) and pin 1? Then pin 2 to 0v sensor ground?

I hope you can understand that? Lol

Thanks Dan 

If you’re using a dedicated temp channel (I.e.) AN TEMP 3, then there is no need for the pull-up resistor in the wiring as the ECU has them internally.

if you are using a normal AN VOLT channel, then you need to wire the following:

Pin 1: +5v with in-line 1kohm pull-up resistor... AND the desired AN volt channel

Pin 2: Sensor ground 

I harassed Adam about this for ages xD