Sequential Gear control

Anthony Parle

Hi I want to kill the ignition when I am changing gears on my sequential.  I have load cell on the gear stick and a rotary encoder on the box to tell me what gear I am in.

Could you please check that I have sent up the "Gear Lever Force", Gear Position" and Gear Shift Control" control correctly please as I am heading to the track tomorrow and want to make sure its right.

By the way I have the timing held back at 35 degree on deliberately.

Tony

EG33 G4 + Thunder 160821 V6 gear change.pclr

Hi Anthony,

I took a quick look over your settings, most of it looks like reasonable starting points.  I will make a couple of suggestions though...

Normally I disable gear cut for first outing, do a few laps using the clutch to shift whilst logging all gear cut variables.  Then you can look at data and check that gear position sensor is working correctly and you will  have some good data on how much shift force is required to change gear. 

A couple of other comments; To me your upshift force is probably too high, more commonly around 80N.  Your torque re-introduction is too long - normally if using barrel position as the shift end event this will be much smaller numbers ~ 20ms. 

If you haven't already, you should download Motec tech note CTN0004.  Some of their terminology is different to link, but it gives good background on how to tune the gear cut function from logging. 

I didn't look through much of your .pclr but a couple of things jumped out right away - Your fuel map and lambda target table are pretty odd?  You could do with decreasing the master fuel to get better numbers in your fuel map.  You've got charge temp table turned on but you don't have an IAT sensor assigned so that's not going to work.

Edited by Adamw
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

I logged the last run and have attached it,

is there a way when viewing the log files for them to show what gear the sequential was in.

Do I need to have the program that is in the ECU at the time open when viewing the logs so it can get the correct voltage/gear.

Above is the program attached below is the logs,

I find the same problem with AFR as the logs are seeing it as Lambda even though I set it up as the old AFR scale.

Does anything jump out as a problem on the sequential log as I had it turned off.

Hi Tony,

Your logging needs a bit of "fine tuning" to make it more useful....

1. You have only logged at 10Hz, For gear cut tuning you really want it a bit faster than that.  I suggest 25Hz as a good balance.
  2. Rather than log the AN input you should log the actual final calculated parameter.  For instance instead of logging Channel "AN 6 Gear Pos Sensor" you should log "Gear (Status)" which will give you the actual gear rather than the voltage.  Same with "Gear Lever force" & "Lambda".
  3. Comparing your gear pos voltages to your .pclr, you have only used gears, Neutral, 1, 2, 3, & 4?  Is that correct that you haven't used 5th or 6th in this log?
  4. I dont think your Gear Pos sensor is going to work well the way you have it set up with 4th gear at 4.4V then stepping back to 5th at 0.8V.  Is it possible to rotate the sensor a little so it doesn't go past zero?  I.e ideally you want voltage incrementing in the same direction for the whole travel - say R at 0.5V and 6th at 4.5V (or the inverse of this).
  5. As for the Lambda/AFR logged units, I will let Link techs reply to that.  I only use Lambda so have never played with it.  I'm sure it will be possible to Log in your native units.

As for the Lambda/AFR logged units, I will let Link techs reply to that.  I only use Lambda so have never played with it.  I'm sure it will be possible to Log in your native units.

Hi Tony,

There are a few options when it comes to displaying AFR in a log file. The first option is to press the 'u' key when Lambda is displayed in the Time Plot. This will change the display mode. The other option is to log the parameter 'AFR Avg'.

Scott

Okay so had a phone discussion with David PPG UK.

He said the Link ECU will work perfect for the job as its a brilliant packages ECU, which was good to hear.  So well done Link team.:)

Suggested the same as Adam do the logs and find the point at what voltage on the strain gauge occurs just before the barrel in the gearbox starts to move,

So does anyone have suggestions as to how much retard and cut for each of the gears?

Tony,

Most of the cars I play with I have to use ignition cut limiters (fuel cut is no good with outboard injectors) so my settings may not translate well to your setup but I normally have around 90% cut for all gears.  You will feel a stumble if there is too much cut and it will be hard/impossible to change if you don't have enough.  In my case I cant use retard with ign cut but I have also never really needed it either so I would probably suggest you start with none and only add a little in if you find the fuel cut too violent or if the engine doesn't recover well after a big fuel cut.  FYI, you can get most of it dialled in reasonably well on a rolling road that has reasonable inertia.

Hi Adam,

I run a Race Tech Logger in the car as well so here is the change read at a 100 HZ,

In the pic I have put a line through were I think I need to set the Link to say a gear change is occurring.

Top graph is the encoder on the gearbox the bottom is the strain gauge on the gear stick.  The line is at 3.9 V

Gearchange_voltage.thumb.jpg.2b22932fdce

Edited by Anthony Parle

Hi Tony,

Yes that looks like it will get you in the right ball park.  You normally want reasonable preload on the shifter fork before initiating the cut (i.e. you should see a small amount of barrel movement first) so I probably would have gone just a little higher than your guess (~4.2v) but it seems you've definitely got a good feel for it now.

I notice during every gear change event your "gear" goes to zero.  I think if you increase your gear detection voltage tolerance to about 0.2V or a little higher that should t fix it.  Also at the end of 5th gear your log goes to zero so not sure if there is something funny with your 6th voltage setting?  Based on this log I would set your shift force to about 400N.

Capture.png

Hi Adam,

Okay I will do it again in the morning a seeh how I go, not able to change the 6 th voltage till I get back to a hoist,'

Before you mentioned "torque re-introduction is too long ------much smaller numbers ~ 20ms. "

Is that the number that I have as 1,000 ms in the set up or what do I currently have it at?

Tony

What time on Torque reintroduction on Down shiftt?

I cant say I have ever used a downshift cut.  Perhaps that's because most of the circuits around here are mostly flat its not needed or perhaps its more for rally or hill climbs?  I cant think of too many scenarios where you would be shifting down at WOT in a circuit car...

So I'd probably set it the same as your upshift time since its unlikely to be invoked anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't look at every gear change in the log but it appears for most of them you are lifting off the throttle so it is below the TP low lockout.  For now you could put the TP lockout to zero for testing (FYI, normally in real life you would want this above about 70%).  If you are sure you have tried to shift with the throttle open and it felt like it just wasn't going to let you then I would say try less "start shift validation time" and possibly lower the upshift force setting.

To get to the bottom of it I think you need to log more channels.  Gear shift status, AN-6, % fuel cut, would be the main ones needed on top of what you have.