Head Gasket Spacer Ignition and Fueling Effects

Nettlez

I have recently built up a bmw m50 2.8l engine with 0.140" head gasket spacer and wired in a G4+. There is a BMW E36 plugin base map but this is mean for a 2.5L single vanos engine, I have edited it to suit my non vanos engine sensor wise as they have different cam sensor and ignition timing. My question is with my engine now being lower compression than what the base map was meant for what would you need to alter to make the base map more suitable? Advance ignition timing? As with the base map on it runs very rich 10:1AFR even though its mean for a 2.5L and it struggles to idle and will die as it warms up if no throttle is applied, only needs 5% and it will say running but then once it gets to around 80 degrees the afr starts to yoyo from rich and lean. The car is booked in for mapping in roughly a month, its been to one garage but it seems a bit out of there norm so im just trying to get a good understanding of what effect the changes I have made have on the mapping side of things. Attached is my edited base map. Thanks in advance

BMW E36 G4+ Xtreme Plugin rafe edit - idle stepper 4 wire not 3.pclr

Checking that the timing is stable over a range of RPM is a quick and easy verification that VR polarity is correct.  I just took a quick look over your map, it mostly appears to be a reasonable starting point.  One suggestion however; set idle control to open loop for now.  Closed loop takes a fair bit of work to get right and there is no point messing with it until most of the other tables are fully tuned. 

I think my vr polarity is correct as I took a scope  to check it, I can upload that too if you want? Yer that sounds like a good idea as it was struggling to idle. So am I not right in thinking that because of the 0.140" hg spacer it will be running richer? I'm just thinking its got considerably less compression so it won't be as efficient? 

So am I not right in thinking that because of the 0.140" hg spacer it will be running richer? I'm just thinking its got considerably less compression so it won't be as efficient?

No I dont expect the lower compression and less squish will make a big difference to idle and low load VE.  The biggest effects will be the difference in capacities, the different valve timing and the different injectors.  Tweak your master fuel a little more. 

Ok will try setting up open loop and tweaking master fuel. By tweak to you mean lean off? as when the car is running this map that's mean for a 2.5L with higher compression its running around 10:1afr at idle even though its bigger? I would have thought a 2.8 would have wanted more fuel hence why I wondered if it was the compression related.

• 2 weeks later...