Link G3 + Toucan

sam.everist

Hi All,

Please let me apologise in advance for my distinct lack of knowledge when it comes to ECU's and the technology associated with them. I purchased a car recently with a Link G3 Ecu. On the back of this I read that the JT innovations Toucan works with Link ECU's... Since purchasing the Toucan I have read a few things that say it works with G4 but no mention of G3... does anybody know if it works? IF not, the next question is I have heard that the Link G3 can be upgraded to a G4?? what is involved in this please? 

Appreciate any info anyone can offer.

I think you will need to upgrade the G3 to G4 firmware as I dont see any way to configure the CAN output in the old G3 software.  There is a cost associated with this, you need to purchase an "upgrade code" from a dealer, to give you an idea it is about NZD$230 in NZ.  Your ecu will also most likely need a small hardware mod to enable the CAN.  We can send you instructions to get it done locally or you maybe able to do it yourself if you are capable with a soldering iron (or it is a free of charge service if you want to send back to us in NZ).

Note also the G4 doesnt have any CAN receive capability (only transmit) so you will be able to send data to the dash for display but you want be able to use the Toucan touchscreen "buttons" to activate anything in the ECU.

Thanks very much for the fast reply! Seems like a lot of effort if it is not even going to work completely. 

As I say, my knowledge is less than average on these things... Is CAN like an alternative to OBD2 ? Basically I want to see real time data from the ECU and am trying to weigh up my options i.e will an OBD2 reader work?

The G3 doesnt have OBD2.  I think you will need to upgrade to G4 firmware to get anything useful out of it.  In G3 firmware you have very few options for display (apart from a laptop).

With G4 there are many CAN options as well as serial and USB options such as realdash: 

On 10/12/2018 at 10:44 PM, Adamw said:

I think you will need to upgrade the G3 to G4 firmware as I dont see any way to configure the CAN output in the old G3 software.  There is a cost associated with this, you need to purchase an "upgrade code" from a dealer, to give you an idea it is about NZD$230 in NZ.  Your ecu will also most likely need a small hardware mod to enable the CAN.  We can send you instructions to get it done locally or you maybe able to do it yourself if you are capable with a soldering iron (or it is a free of charge service if you want to send back to us in NZ).

Note also the G4 doesnt have any CAN receive capability (only transmit) so you will be able to send data to the dash for display but you want be able to use the Toucan touchscreen "buttons" to activate anything in the ECU.

Could you send the hardware mod for the g3 plus to me  also please? 

The AIM can use serial instead of CAN so you wouldnt need the hardware mod, but you would still need the G4 firmware update.

The only display I know of that is directly compatible with the G3 was our old DisplayLink which is no longer available.

umE4rV7.png